Raid 0: Is it worth it?

I don't think me or Mooseman are too worried about the fact that 1 drive in RAID0 failing can lose all the data, both of us intend to backup all important data... I believe this thread was more strictly performance.

^
agreed. It still isn't bad to consider RAID 5, but in my application it's more money than I am looking for to do it right. I can do a RAID 0 properly for much less. True that the risk is there, but (knock on wood) I don't think that is extremely likely. Plus, I am already willing to accept if it happened that I wouldn't cry about it. Get everything I need backed up on another drive and the less important things (games, movies, etc.) can have the small risk of being lost.

On another note, I did notice that newegg has the 640GB caviar black drives on sale for 65 bucks. With that, I could buy say 3 of those for $194. That would give me better performance than 2 x 1TB with similar space. :D I am highly considering this option. Thoughts?

^
agreed. It still isn't bad to consider RAID 5, but in my application it's more money than I am looking for to do it right. I can do a RAID 0 properly for much less. True that the risk is there, but (knock on wood) I don't think that is extremely likely. Plus, I am already willing to accept if it happened that I wouldn't cry about it. Get everything I need backed up on another drive and the less important things (games, movies, etc.) can have the small risk of being lost.

On another note, I did notice that newegg has the 640GB caviar black drives on sale for 65 bucks. With that, I could buy say 3 of those for $194. That would give me better performance than 2 x 1TB with similar space. :D I am highly considering this option. Thoughts?

Just to give u more info The WD640AAKS HDD is considered to a more faster HDD then a regular 7200RPM HDD because it uses two 2x320 GB platters that makes it a bit more faster. A lot of people like them.

Check it out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218&Tpk=wd6400aaks

I have 3 of them two are in raid 0 and I love them.

You begin to exceed a 15k SAS drive's performance as soon as you put two 7200.12 SG 'Cudas in RAID 0. RAID 0 scales out nearly to 2x the initial performance.

Just to give u more info The WD500AAKS HDD is considered to a more faster HDD then a regular 7200RPM HDD because it uses two 3x166 GB platters that makes it a bit more faster. A lot of people like them.

Check it out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073&Tpk=wd5000aaks

Do some google searches if u want, here is one forum talking about this HDD

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1187845

I have 3 of them two are in raid 0 and I love them.
Are you sure that is better than a 640GB black? Those are the blue's, which are suppose be the cheaper, less performing drives. WD says the dual processors and 32mb cache sets the black series apart in performance, and stability.

I also noticed the thread you linked shows comparisons between WD's old 500GB drive and the next gen blue. It does not compare the blue to the black.

Tell you honestly I'm not sure all I know is the AAKS in not your regular 7200RPM HDD. Maybe someone else can answer this question. Try using google maybe you can find an answer that way faster.

Sorry cant help you there :(

EDIT:

I just realized I gave you the wrong link. I gave you the 500GB AAKS version. The one I was talking about is the WD640AAKS. I updated my thread, but here is the link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218&Tpk=wd6400aaks

Its has 1600 reviews on newegg with 80% +5

^
:p The 640GB black is the exact same thing as the blue, execpt it's black, which means better performance features (plus basically the same raitings: 83% 5 eggs)...with the savings till 9/9 it's even cheaper too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

So with that in mind, I imagine the black edition is going to have the same or better performance setup as far as platters and density is concerned.

Yes go with the Black :)

2x320gb platters - dense and fast
twin processors - all others have one
32mb cache - even most 'good' drives are only 16mb
5yr warranty - industry best

Glad I could Help GL :)

:D Glad to have worked with you, lol. I am pretty sure I am going to buy 3 of them. Though, I am actually going back on what I said earlier and considering RAID 5 since it is doable with 3 disks. I was thinking you needed more disks, but I refreshed my RAID knowledge while checking out the drives and what not. I am not super needy on space, since I will still have my 750GB. I am going to be going back and forth on it the next day or two until I make a final decision, thanks for all the help everyone :D

You begin to exceed a 15k SAS drive's performance as soon as you put two 7200.12 SG 'Cudas in RAID 0. RAID 0 scales out nearly to 2x the initial performance.

2x 7200s in RAID 0 does not exceed a 15K; at least not in read speed

Back
Top Bottom