Installing RAM

Oh well that should be fine.

I did a bit of research and apparently there is a known issue with the Install Windows box taking forever to appear (if you reached the vista background page as you said, there is supposed to be a prompt to select options).

Unplug any USB devices from your computer, then go through the boot process from the CD again to get to that screen, and wait there for 15-30 minutes to see if the box appears.

So I did what you said (waiting) and it worked, except when I ran the repair it said Windows could not fix the problem automatically. I also ran the chkdsk prompt and it didn't really do anything. When I restarted the computer, the same PXE error message came up

So I did what you said (waiting) and it worked, except when I ran the repair it said Windows could not fix the problem automatically. I also ran the chkdsk prompt and it didn't really do anything. When I restarted the computer, the same PXE error message came up

Hmmm... I'm out of ideas on this one. Maybe somebody else can help you out.

Are you sure you didn't knock anything loose when you were putting the RAM in?

well thanks for the help anyway, i may take it to a professional or something. such a weird problem... just from sticking in RAM?

when i tried to access the BIOS (by pressing esc on boot up?) it didnt work and yea i have my OS on a disc

you should be pressing DEL, F2, or F10, esc will not get you into the bios (at least I've never seen that as an option), boot up and watch the screen, the key to press to get into the bios should show up on the screen, but probably only for a second or two...

once you get into the bios you can select your boot priority...

you should be pressing DEL, F2, or F10, esc will not get you into the bios (at least I've never seen that as an option), boot up and watch the screen, the key to press to get into the bios should show up on the screen, but probably only for a second or two...

once you get into the bios you can select your boot priority...

ESC is used to access to BIOS on some systems as well.

I've seen: F1, F2, F3, F10, DEL, ESC

You running a SATA Hardrive or IDE Harddrive? Check the data cables and power cables on your primary harddrive. The black background with a pointer normally comes up when you boot a computer with no operating system, but has a harddrive.

Well i got into BIOS and my boot order is Hard Drive, then CD-ROM and then floppy drive... now what?

You running a SATA Hardrive or IDE Harddrive? Check the data cables and power cables on your primary harddrive. The black background with a pointer normally comes up when you boot a computer with no operating system, but has a harddrive.

i checked most of the cables and all seem connected and everything... this is pissing me off

Well i got into BIOS and my boot order is Hard Drive, then CD-ROM and then floppy drive... now what?

i checked most of the cables and all seem connected and everything... this is pissing me off

Sounds like your Hard Drive is shot.

Maybe just a coincidence of timing w/ the RAM.

is there any way to transfer the data from my current hard drive to a new one if i have to get a new one

and i find it hard to believe its a coincidence because i turned it on and it worked and then i put in the RAM and turned it on and it didnt work... within 10 minutes of each other

Back
Top Bottom