partition sizing for dual boot (fedora,xp). can only 3 be used?

pablo4429

Beta member
partition sizing for dual boot (fedora,xp). can only 3 partitions be used?

Ok, so I am about to set up my first dual boot machine and i have read a lot of places that the usual partitioning setup for dual boot is a partition for both windows and, in my case, fedora, one for a swap partition of about 4 Gb and one /home partition to save all files on. I was wonering if I could just make three partionions, one with about 450Gb for windows and the other with about 150Gb for Fedora with the last one being reserved for the swap partition. If I cannot, please explain why.
Thanks for helping out the new guy,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to CF!!

I would recommend that until you get used to partitioning that you set it up the way the you mention second. This way there is less of a chance of you screwing up your hdd or your partitions. So the simple answer is yes it can be done that way.

Cheers!

awesome thanks man

ok so i just tried to shrink the partition using gparted live and i got this error almost instantly, /dev/sda1. I tried to search for something abotu that and the only info i got was to run a diskcheck, turn off virtual memory, hibernate, and run defrag again

what could be causing this

by the way, the same error came up when i used the partition editor provided by Fedora.

thanks
paul

Back
Top Bottom