new and in need of some help

Rubidog

Solid State Member
hi new to this forum. hope to learn alot here!

i built a computer about 4 years ago not knowing much about them but wanted something better then i could buy already built for the money i had to spend. well 4 years later and not taking very good care of it its time for some new hardware im afraid. ya see i went to turn it on the other week and everything came on but the monitor. im thinking the vid card is bad but im not sure. i have an Intel d925x board. is there anyway i can make sure and tell the video card is bad before i go out and spend money on a new one. money is tight right now and i dont want to if i dont have to. also what is a good but inexpensive/free antivirus that will keep my computer clean and healty.

please explain everything ill need to know/do in detail as im pretty much computer illiterate.:eek:

Thanks
Rubidog:confused:

You can try removing the GPU, connecting the monitor to the motherboard & use onboard graphics.

We generally recommend Avast or AVG for anti-virus. Both have free versions.

ok sounds good ill give that a try. where do i connect the monitor to on the motherboard. and by GPU i assume you mean the video card?

ok sounds good ill give that a try. where do i connect the monitor to on the motherboard. and by GPU i assume you mean the video card?

Yes. GPU = videocard.

There should be a a DVI port available to plug your monitor into if your motherboard has onboard gfx should work...

If your mobo doesnt have ob gfx, idk.

Can you test the GPU in a different computer?

I assume a power light is on when the monitor isn't responding, and maybe turns orange to say its not recieving any signals?

Did you do anything before switching it off the time its stopped working?

You've listed the type of board, but not the Motherboard make/model itself. It should be written on the motherboard itself if there is a way of opening the side panel to get a look in.

As for free protection software, I myself use:

AVG Antivirus,
Spybot: Search & Destroy,
Zonealarm Personal Firewall

All nice selections, with Spybot being the only program that really needs looking after, downloading updates manually every few weeks or so, and running a scan.

ok sounds good fellas. ill look for the DVI port on the board.

as far as doing something to it before i turned it off the last time i dont think so. you are correct about an orange power light being on on the monitor. it should turn blue when there is a signal, but it just stays in stand buy mode.

im not sure what you mean by not giving you the board info. its an Intel desktop D925X. not sure what more information your looking for...? ill look for the box when i get home monday.

Thanks fellas.
:D

ok sounds good fellas. ill look for the DVI port on the board.

as far as doing something to it before i turned it off the last time i dont think so. you are correct about an orange power light being on on the monitor. it should turn blue when there is a signal, but it just stays in stand buy mode.

im not sure what you mean by not giving you the board info. its an Intel desktop D925X. not sure what more information your looking for...? ill look for the box when i get home monday.

Thanks fellas.
:D

Orange light on the monitor means there's no signal being sent to the monitor.

i.e. GPU issue, or loose connector(s)

Back
Top Bottom