PSU or Graphics card? Kind of new!

dmaleck1

Solid State Member
Well I went out on a limb today and opened up my Gateway Comp. The problem im having is... when i hit the power button on the front of tower the blue light comes on but none of the fans or hard drive kicks on. I called a few Repair shops and they told me it was most likely PSU. Well I was just messing around and took the Graphics card out which is a geforce 8500 GT, when the card is out and I hit the power everything fires up...put the card back in and nothing! Im guessing the problem is the graphics card but i want to be 100% certain. Also when the card is in the fan on it almost sits ONTOP of the video card, that seems a little odd to me? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Well I went out on a limb today and opened up my Gateway Comp. The problem im having is... when i hit the power button on the front of tower the blue light comes on but none of the fans or hard drive kicks on. I called a few Repair shops and they told me it was most likely PSU. Well I was just messing around and took the Graphics card out which is a geforce 8500 GT, when the card is out and I hit the power everything fires up...put the card back in and nothing! Im guessing the problem is the graphics card but i want to be 100% certain. Also when the card is in the fan on it almost sits ONTOP of the video card, that seems a little odd to me? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

When you hit the power button and "everything fires up" does it load into Windows & everything with no problems?

If so, either your PSU doesn't have enough power with the GPU in (which is unlikely if this is a problem that just recently occured) or it is indeed your GPU.

Thanks for the fast reply, Sorry I left that part out. When the GPU is in, I hit the Power and the blue light ONLY comes on...nothing to the monitor...no fans...no hardrive... nothing.. Take it out an walah the fans kick onm my comp was also having an issue before this it would just shut off for no reason, and right before it did the fan would get real loud for like 3 seconds, then reboot. Thanks again

Thanks for the fast reply, Sorry I left that part out. When the GPU is in, I hit the Power and the blue light ONLY comes on...nothing to the monitor...no fans...no hardrive... nothing.. Take it out an walah the fans kick onm my comp was also having an issue before this it would just shut off for no reason, and right before it did the fan would get real loud for like 3 seconds, then reboot. Thanks again

Still not sure I understand completely if the computer is able to boot up without the GPU in.

If the fan is getting really loud it could be an overheating problem?

I'll try to explain a little better. If I Hit the power with the graphics card in, the light on front comes on but the fans Don't, nothing will appear on the monitor either. If I take the graphics card out and hit the power the fans will come on and the harrddrive but there is still nothing on the monitor. Hope this helps!

I'll try to explain a little better. If I Hit the power with the graphics card in, the light on front comes on but the fans Don't, nothing will appear on the monitor either. If I take the graphics card out and hit the power the fans will come on and the harrddrive but there is still nothing on the monitor. Hope this helps!

Hm... Sounds like a faulty PSU to me, but its hard to tell.

Seems like your PSU is having trouble powering your machine, which explains why when you take out a part that requires a lot of power (the GPU), it is able to partially work.

that sounds very likely, i thought it would be something like that or maybe when you put the GPU in it shorts something out? Thanks for the help so far!

Back
Top Bottom