Q9450 & P35 trying to OC

I must be missing something here, the 1066 strap gives 1280MHz memory frequency?

There must be another setting there somewhere that is multiplying the frequency

If you read post #10 in the clunk thread/guide you'll see that the memory should run at the strap setting e.g. 1066MHz not 1280MHz

So at default, 2.66GHz with 333/1066 the FSB should be 333MHz (quad pumped to 1333MHz) and the memory should be 1066MHz

Yes you are right at default I can set it to 333/1066 = 1066MHz (but that is not the default speed, 800 is) but with a 8*375 = 3.0Ghz the 333/1066 = 1280

UPDATE:

I just put settings on default and tried 333/1066 = 1066, my MOBO wouldn't even post..

EDIT: by the way his post dated 3/23/08 the BIOS revison I have is 9/19/2008 so thats maybe why... And post #10 doesnt say anything about setting it to 1066...

EDIT: ...... And post #10 doesnt say anything about setting it to 1066...

dramstrapratios.png

Mate, it's there in the picture, why would you bother buying 1066MHz memory to run it at 800MHz??.

What the DRAM Ratio in the picture refers to is the percentage of the FSB the memory runs at using that strap/divider, e.g. 333/1066 (5:8) could be written as 1:1.6, FSB 333*1.6 = 533 which with Double Data Rate equates to 1066, the 333/800 strap can be written as 1:1.2 etc etc

You can make an auto calculation table in Excel to see different settings such as

(375*1.6)*2 (333/1066 strap) which will give you 1200MHz memory speed or
(375*1.2)*2 (333/800 strap) which will give you 900MHz memory speed or
(400*1.2)*2 (333/800 strap) which will give you 960MHz memory speed or
(450*1.2)*2 (333/800 strap) which will give you 1080MHz memory speed

(I'm not sure if your Quad would run at 450MHz FSB, give it a try and see as 450*6.5 will give you 2.925GHz and your memory "should" handle the mild oc from 1066 to 1080, you may need to loosen the timings 1T to 2T most likely or 6-6-6-18 though I doubt you'll need to do the latter)

Here is a pic of the one I use for my Black Ops, by changing the FSB or multiplier value it automatically calculates the cpu speed and memory speed for the given multi/dividers (straps)

strapratio.jpg
strapratio2.jpg

You will be limited to which straps you can use with your FSB over 333MHz by your memory as it is obviously not going to do 1200MHz, though as I said earlier you don't really have a large selection to choose from. I'd be trying them all (the relevant ones anyway) because I had an Asus board once that had an awesome 200/*** strap whereas the 333/*** - 400/*** straps were next to useless

Using the 333/1066 strap your board should run your processor at 2.66 and your memory at 1066.

By using different straps you can run your memory faster than the FSB, or run the memory at default speed while increasing the FSB/CPU speed.

Yes you are right at default I can set it to 333/1066 = 1066MHz (but that is not the default speed, 800 is) but with a 8*375 = 3.0Ghz the 333/1066 = 1280

I don't understand what you are referring to here with the 800? Is it because that is what the board sets the memory to when you leave the frequency on auto? That will be because the memory SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard DDR2 800MHz and will default to this unless you set the correct frequency in the bios using the correct strap, apart from that it has nothing to do with the board and is not a board default.

Data sheet link

gskill.jpg

WoW I don't know where to begin!

So what you saying my system should run 2.66Ghtz with 333/1066 = 1066 with no problem? All this time I thought what ever was the MOBO's default speed that is what I would have to run my RAM at and if I want it to be higher I would have to like OC something... so confused now...

The problem with this is I have tried setting 333/1066 = 1066 with default at 2.66Ghz and my MOBO woudnt even post... what does this mean? Bad ram or mobo? Check you PM if you havent yet.

Thank you Folder

Not posting isn't a good sign.

From your earlier posts about Memtest86+ I would suggest the memory is fine, if you have bad modules it will show up in test 5 pretty early on, as yours ran for hours with no errors I'd say it is good to go.

What I would suggest you try is to reset the cmos, you may have inadvertently altered a bios setting that is causing your board not to post using the 333/1066 strap

Once the cmos has been reset you'll need to go into the bios and select the memory voltage and speed (leave the timings on auto for now)

It should boot right away.

Does that board have a function to save your current bios settings? an overclock library or similar where you can save different bios profiles?

If it does save your current settings there just as a precaution.

Yes it does have that option, I use it all the time.

I do believe I had already tried that, but just to be sure I will restart right now and give it a try.

I will update this in the next 5 min. brb

Just had a thought, no need to reset the cmos, there should be an option to set bios defaults on the bios exit page.

I had set my bios to default, saved and restarted. I then created my RAID-0 changed Ram v to 2.1v and change the divider to 333/1066 that gave me 1066Mhz, I saved it and exited. PC had shutdown and should had restarted on its own, but instead it blinked for 1 sec and just turned OFF. I had try starting it but wouldn't get any post. The PC would start all my fans would go mad loud and nothing... I tried about 10 times.

That's just plain weird

I wonder if it is a bad strap, the Black Ops has a couple (at 500MHz FSB the 1:3 & 1:3.2 straps dont work) but being default settings your board should fire straight up.

So how did you get it to post in the end?

That's just plain weird

I wonder if it is a bad strap, the Black Ops has a couple (at 500MHz FSB the 1:3 & 1:3.2 straps dont work) but being default settings your board should fire straight up.

So how did you get it to post in the end?

I unplugged the power for a few seconds, for some reason that had always cleared my BIOS. I will ask this question on a DFI forums, they might know what to do :) I still cant believe I never new that my settings were supposed to run at 1066 I was 110% convinced that if I have a 800Mhz MOBO I will not be able to run 1066MHZ with ought doing some OC or something... This just shows how much I really know about OC...etc lol

Ask on the DFI forum if anyone is running the 333/1066 strap successfully, not being able to boot with default settings is most odd.

I'm really at a loss as to where to go from here to be honest, if you/we can't get it to run at default settings I don't hold out much hope for successful overclocking.

I unplugged the power for a few seconds, for some reason that had always cleared my BIOS.
This usually means the battery is dead

Back
Top Bottom