Raid 0: Is it worth it?

@ OP: Do the RAID setup O+1 if you can. Do note that 0+1 and 1+0 are different RAID styles. Most boards are 0+1.

@ Computear: You could easily pick up 3 500Gb drives in RAID for the same cost as 1 15k and they are less likely to fail. SAS drives are really fast and can be quite unstable. I advise against SSD's as their read speed is incredible, their write speed is not. And because of that, even 2 7200
s in RAID 0 can outperform a single SSD. But if you do choose SSD, the smaller it is, the fast, assuming it's MLC.

@ OP: Do the RAID setup O+1 if you can. Do note that 0+1 and 1+0 are different RAID styles. Most boards are 0+1.

@ Computear: You could easily pick up 3 500Gb drives in RAID for the same cost as 1 15k and they are less likely to fail. SAS drives are really fast and can be quite unstable. I advise against SSD's as their read speed is incredible, their write speed is not. And because of that, even 2 7200
s in RAID 0 can outperform a single SSD. But if you do choose SSD, the smaller it is, the fast, assuming it's MLC.

I'm more concerned about read speed than write speed... I think...

And I already have a 1TB 7200 RPM

Both are very important. Read speed will increase load times and all, but write speed is also important for downloads, installs, etc...I think lol.

I think that RAID 0 is my best option for my application. Hardrives today are very reliable, and I can backup anything that I feel I would cry without :p Right now I have 1 750GB so if that failed I'd be pretty much in the same boat...

I would say unless you're using RAID 5, no real point of RAID without fault tolerance

okay i know that someone has mentioned this before
you could get a HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 PCIe x1
and 4 500GB HDDs in a RAID5 (a striped array with a striped paridy)
or the same RAID card and 4 750GB HDDs in a RAID5 for your 2.25TB of space
with the possible speed of RAID0 (striped) and the security of RAID1 (mirrored)
im going to set up a RAID5 array
i was looking at 4 500GB HDDs
but since the 750GB option came up with a total of 2.25TB thats very interesting
:D
thanks for the help

okay i know that someone has mentioned this before
you could get a HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 PCIe x1
and 4 500GB HDDs in a RAID5 (a striped array with a striped paridy)
or the same RAID card and 4 750GB HDDs in a RAID5 for your 2.25TB of space
with the possible speed of RAID0 (striped) and the security of RAID1 (mirrored)
im going to set up a RAID5 array
i was looking at 4 500GB HDDs
but since the 750GB option came up with a total of 2.25TB thats very interesting
:D
thanks for the help
Problem with that is cost...the setup of a RAID 0 with 2x 1TB drives is about $200. I am not looking to spend a whole lot more than that, and what you've listed would be a good chunk over 200 I'm sure, probably around $400+

Problem with that is cost...the setup of a RAID 0 with 2x 1TB drives is about $200. I am not looking to spend a whole lot more than that, and what you've listed would be a good chunk over 200 I'm sure, probably around $400+

Aye I'm not looking to spend that much either...

I'm more concerned with things loading faster than installing faster...

Can anybody clarify exactly when/what a RAID 0 (2x 1TB 7200RPM) setup would beat a 15000RPM drive?

Well consider your space issues. I don't really know performance comparisons on paper, but the more hardrive space that is being taken up the slower the hardrive becomes. With 73GBs of space that ratio becomes a lot smaller. I doubt the performance difference of a 15k drive is hugely different then two TBs in a raid 0. I think it's a much smarter choice to buy 7200 or 10k drives since they are much more price:space friendly.

$ is the price of performance
but its your $ and not mine, when i get my RAID running
i will get the performance that i paid for
but none the less
to each their own

Back
Top Bottom