What Antivirus for the kid?

Juan handed

In Runtime
I just ordered a laptop for my friend's kid. 10 years old,first computer.

His parents wouldn't know micro-soft from micro-phone.So I'm taking on the responsibilities of setting his rig up (and probably maintaining it for a while).I'm Definately not the right guy for this,I'm a noob.

I ordered the same laptop as the kid's,it will be an upgrade for me.

When I get his computer,I will load the OS and programs on it.I know the kid will be surfing (on a cable modem) in no time. I need to think about antivirus and malware.I have had McAfee on my computer for a few years and have been OK as far as virus/malware goes,but the thing is a ponderous resource hog.I am going to go with Avast with my new one and take a more active role in managing the viruses and malware.

I think his computer is probably better off with a pay program antivirus for a while...no one will be there to keep an eye on things constantly.

What do you recommend he goes with for antivirus,malware? I don't need to be seeing his laptop every week.

Avast is very good. I can't say more than that, it has been rated higher on some things when it comes to active scanning and such. I use it and recommend it to all my customers and they love it, Why? They don't have to pay for it. Just because it's free doesn't mean it doesn't do a good job. Try it and see if you like it. I would recommend it over McAfee...

Yeah,I'm looking forward to running it for myself.

It's just with the kid's unit,something like McAfee does the scans on it's own on a weekly basis,updates itself constantly,etc.
It's a little much for him to be relied on to do scans and updates,whatever...it's his first computer,he'll have enough on his hands.

I'm starting to think something idiot-proof is the way it has to be for a while.

AVG and Avast are the 2 "big" Anti-Virus everybody recommends.

Usually Avast > AVG.

And gtfo, avast is free :)

Not having run Avast or AVG,do they auto-download updates or auto-scan on a weekly basis?

I'm pretty sure it automatically downloads updates, and I'm sure there's a way to have it auto-scan on a weekly basis, but I'm not certain.

Apparently avast home version doesn't have a scheduled scan option (pro version does) but here's a workaround to have scheduled scans with the home version:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PH...f68169&board=2;action=display;threadid=3796.0

I think there's also some sort of screensaver mode? which scans whenever the screensaver is up; then interrupts it when you come back to the computer? Not too sure.

I use VIPRE Anti-Virus so I really have limited information on AVG/Avast except what I've read.

go to www.downloads.com and type in AVG in the search box. You can download the Free Edition.... its real good and has auto updates and performs timed scans =]

So it would appear AVG has more of the options you need than Avast, try that one out :p

OK,I'll install the AVG on the laptop I have now and give it a test drive.I'll uninstall the McAfee after I'm good and see if there is a performance difference,I'll keep an eye on things in the task manager.

Back
Top Bottom