can I run an application off a usb drive

GVSS

Baseband Member
Is there a way to run an application off of a usb thumb drive without installing is onto the machine?

I work at a newspaper and frequently have to resize photos, but their machine have a VERY basic and cumbersome resizing program.

I am wondering if there is a way to install a lite photo editor (like XnView) onto a usb drive and run it while it is connected to my machine there?

I can't install it on the machine because I'm not the administrator and don't have the proper access.

any help or other thoughts/suggestions on how to work around this would be great.

Thanks!

Is there a way to run an application off of a usb thumb drive without installing is onto the machine?

I work at a newspaper and frequently have to resize photos, but their machine have a VERY basic and cumbersome resizing program.

I am wondering if there is a way to install a lite photo editor (like XnView) onto a usb drive and run it while it is connected to my machine there?

I can't install it on the machine because I'm not the administrator and don't have the proper access.

any help or other thoughts/suggestions on how to work around this would be great.

Thanks!

It's possible to run applications from flash drives, but you cant just take any old application you want, slap it on your drive, and expect it to run. They have to be specifically programmed to run from a flash drive.

Could you try talking to your boss to let you get the program onto your machine?

Originally posted by Computear
Could you try talking to your boss to let you get the program onto your machine?

Probably, but I work odd hours, usually late at night, so if there is a way to run it off of a drive, or if anyone knows of a programs that will operate that way it would probably be easier.

thanks guys

After doing some research I found a program called GIMP portable. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with GIMP or GIMP portable and what your thoughts on these programs might be.

thanks

There are programs specifically designed to run on USB

just google it

"xnview portable"
brought quite a few returns for me

try it

thanks for the help guys, looks like xnview portable will work great.

gimp seemed to take up quite a biut of space after it was installed.

this forum is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom