Resolutions in wallpaper making

dudelewis1

Daemon Poster
I've been playing around in gimp, trying out my wallpaper skills. Kinda okay, not awesome.

Is resizing down or resizing up better for image clarity? And, what range of resolution should I make, 1024x768-1600x1200 for 4:3, and all the 16:9's?

Noob questions, I know. And any other common aspect ratios that I should include?

I'm pretty sure when you resize up (enlarge) you will lose some image quality.

If you resize down, you lose details, as in its too small to see. Enlarging as cboucher said, it will become pixelated if you enlarge too much. I would suggest making them 4:3 since its the standard, now if you want to make the 16:9 what you can do is just create the wallpaper in that size then crop the image down to a 4:3.

I think the opposite!

make 16:9 now, as wide screens and dual monitor setups are becoming ever more prevalent...

plus if I see a good 16:9 wallpaper I don't mind having borders at the top and the bottom.

16:10 is the standard widescreen monitor ratio being used. Manufacturers are trying to convert everyone to 16:9 since it's cheaper to manufacture and produce.

thanks for the help guys, I gather I should just make them in 4:3 and scale/crop to 16:9/10, right?

Back
Top Bottom