Gift Certificate problem

cboucher

Fully Optimized
Ok, I received this gift certificate from my brother-in-law for this boutique-type music store (you know, guitars, drums and stuff) for $20. So I went through every isle twice looking for a gig bag for my acoustic or something else that costs around $20. This place is ridiculously expensive to say the least. It becomes obvious that there is nothing in this place for $20 that I would want. $20 would go 3 times as far at Guitar Center. Instead of going up to the counter and seeing if they would just give me the cash, I leave and call them from home (I'm a non-confrontational kind of guy). I explained my situation to two different employees there and was told (in a very snotty tone) that not only would they not cash out the gift certificate, but they wouldn't give back any change (would have to be store credit). So, basically a donation was made to the music store "charity" in my name. Here's my question. Am I the asshole here or are they? If it's just me I can accept that, but I think it's wrong of them to force you to either buy their over-priced crap or just give them free cash by not buying anything. I can't regift it either because it's hand written with my name and everything. I don't know, what do guys think?

Spend it on a gift certificate for $20 and regift that. Or just explain to your brother in law, and see if they have a receipt for it. Independent boutiques often have strange return policies

Update:
My wife called them and asked about their return policy. Apparently, they will give cash back on returns as long as it's not sheet music or any kind of instrument that you put in your mouth and unopened. So what I'm going to do is walk in there, buy something returnable for as close to $20 as possible and walk out. I'll then hand the item and receipt to my wife who will walk in, return it and get the cash. I would do that part myself, but like I said, I'm non-confrontational. My wife, on the other hand, loves that kind of stuff.

Update:
My wife called them and asked about their return policy. Apparently, they will give cash back on returns as long as it's not sheet music or any kind of instrument that you put in your mouth and unopened. So what I'm going to do is walk in there, buy something returnable for as close to $20 as possible and walk out. I'll then hand the item and receipt to my wife who will walk in, return it and get the cash. I would do that part myself, but like I said, I'm non-confrontational. My wife, on the other hand, loves that kind of stuff.

Most places will print the method of payment on the receipt, they will see how you paid and refund you in a certificate.

Most places will print the method of payment on the receipt, they will see how you paid and refund you in a certificate.

True, most places. But I'm hoping since this is a mom and pop shop (the gift certificate itself was handwritten on a generic gift certificate form that doesn't even bear the name of the store on it) that they don't have a sophisticated POS system. Besides, once my wife gets a hold of them they might agree to anything in order to get her out of there.

If that doesnt work, then either be aggressive, or find somebody buying something there, and ask if they could give you the cash, and you give the the gift certificate.
It seems that you will most likely get what you want if you are aggressive, at least for my friends step dad.

Back
Top Bottom