Q9450 & P35 trying to OC

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Thread moved and renamed, plz see post #9 for OC. Thank you

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about giving my Quad an OC, something that I had tried doing about a year ago and was not able to do... I have Q9450 2.6Ghz and was not even able to OC it to even 3.0Ghz...

Well I'm back now for another attempt. Back then I was using Prime95 and was wondering if there is a better program to use or should I stick with P95?

Thanks

Re: Best CPU Stress Test Program?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about giving my Quad an OC, something that I had tried doing about a year ago and was not able to do... I have Q9450 2.6Ghz and was not even able to OC it to even 3.0Ghz...

Well I'm back now for another attempt. Back then I was using Prime95 and was wondering if there is a better program to use or should I stick with P95?

Thanks

I would use both, I use Intel Burn Test initially, it only takes about 5 minutes or so and is the program Intel uses to test their cpus (you have to be careful though, your cpu gets much hotter than it does when running prime95, ~ 10°C for me usually), once I get an OC stable in IBT I will use my computer and run prime 95 overnight once I'm ready to go to sleep, I've never had an OC setting pass IBT and then fail prime 95, I have had a few that passed prime 95 and failed IBT though...

I would use both, I use Intel Burn Test initially, it only takes about 5 minutes or so and is the program Intel uses to test their cpus (you have to be careful though, your cpu gets much hotter than it does when running prime95, ~ 10°C for me usually), once I get an OC stable in IBT I will use my computer and run prime 95 overnight once I'm ready to go to sleep, I've never had an OC setting pass IBT and then fail prime 95, I have had a few that passed prime 95 and failed IBT though...

The IBT sounds interesting, and the 5 min test sounds GREAT! lol If what you sad is true, IBT can save me HOURS and HOURS.

In regards to the Prime95, I am currently running a "Small FFTs" test right now. If it passes and everything isd ok, how important is it to run "Blend" test? And from what I hear "In-place large FFTs" are mostly for single cores and that Quad should mostly focus on small and blend.

The reason I'm asking last time I tried OC it would pass the small but always fail in blend, and I did run a MemTest with no errors.

Thanks.

The IBT sounds interesting, and the 5 min test sounds GREAT! lol If what you sad is true, IBT can save me HOURS and HOURS.

In regards to the Prime95, I am currently running a "Small FFTs" test right now. If it passes and everything isd ok, how important is it to run "Blend" test? And from what I hear "In-place large FFTs" are mostly for single cores and that Quad should mostly focus on small and blend.

The reason I'm asking last time I tried OC it would pass the small but always fail in blend, and I did run a MemTest with no errors.

Thanks.

if the small ffts passed then your cpu overclock is fine, but there maybe a problem with your memory interface if the blend fails, if your overclock passes IBT and small ffts then you should be fine...

if the small ffts passed then your cpu overclock is fine, but there maybe a problem with your memory interface if the blend fails, if your overclock passes IBT and small ffts then you should be fine...

Thanks wol-va-rine,

By the way I assume i can just google and download IBT correct? Will it automatically stop after 5 min or so, or do I need to stop the test my self? How long should I run it for exactly, and are there any mojor settings I need to change b4 I start the test?

Do u have any idea what is the max temperature I should not be going over for my Q9450? My set up all the way from the start had a problem with the sensor in my Q9450. Cores 1&2 show about 53c and cores 3&4 show 61c (plus/minus for all cores) These temps are current (I am running a small fft so its much hotter then normal)

Thanks wol-va-rine,

By the way I assume i can just google and download IBT correct? Will it automatically stop after 5 min or so, or do I need to stop the test my self? How long should I run it for exactly, and are there any mojor settings I need to change b4 I start the test?

Do u have any idea what is the max temperature I should not be going over for my Q9450? My set up all the way from the start had a problem with the sensor in my Q9450. Cores 1&2 show about 53c and cores 3&4 show 61c (plus/minus for all cores) These temps are current (I am running a small fft so its much hotter then normal)

google "Intel Burn Test", just IBT will give you some other results, it will automatically stop when done and tell you that your system is stable, unless it fails (it does 5 passes) and then the test will end on the pass in which it fails, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc., and tell you that your system is not stable..

IBT runs about 10-15°C hotter than Prime95, some cores get up to 80°C sometimes when running it (my idle temps are usually between 40-45°C), I usually just use the standard or high test, but it can depend on how much RAM you have available (it will tell you that you don't have enough RAM available if you try to set it to high)...

while it's running you'll know when a pass is about to end because your temps will drop to near idle temps, when the pass ends a number will pop up in the "results" box and each pass has to result in the exact same number or the fail message will pop up and you won't be able to continue...

You can also try LinX which is based on the Intel test but has a much easier to use interface.

Prime 95 Blend Test stresses your NB, so if you're raising your FSB to OC (with the memory linked) it is advisable to run blend.

.... each pass has to result in the exact same number or the fail message will pop up and you won't be able to continue...

The residual (norm) value must be the same

You can also try LinX which is based on the Intel test but has a much easier to use interface.

Prime 95 Blend Test stresses your NB, so if you're raising your FSB to OC (with the memory linked) it is advisable to run blend.

The residual (norm) value must be the same

thanks, didn't know what it was called...

Well my 1st few tests didn't go so well...

I am trying to do a small OC from 2.6GGtz to 3.0GGhz. Simply raising FSB to 375 X8 failed with Blend after 2min, but did 2h stable with small fft's (I stooped it after that). Large FFT's also failed after about 15min. The strange thing is I did a MEM TEST a wile back and it passed with no errors... So it cant be my RAM nor my CPU because like I sad it pased small fft's for 2h...

As A True Folder mentioned "Blend Test stresses your NB" so maybe I should try raising my NB v? I'm gona give it a go and come back.

Here is what I did so far with my 3.0Gtz OC:

1) I set my manual timing
2) 375FSB X 8 = 3.0Gtz
3) My divider is 1:1 = 750 (mobo default is 800, my ram speed is 1066, but with 375x8 1:1 ratio 750 is the closest I can select from, I figured its better to go lower then try and do 900)
4) After my default Vcore failed i bumped from 1.248v to 1.280v (CPU-Z) According to CPU-Z my Vcore drop is about 0.016 went from 1.280 to 1.264 will running Prime95.

Please comment :)

Thanks

UPDATE:

I downloaded IntelBurntest v2.3 did a standard test and it passed. Changed stress lvl to Maximum and it failed after 4/5. DO i need to keep threads on auto or change it to 4?

What is your VNB? I think your problem may well lie here.

Have you tried a different divider? 1:1 isn't the "be all and end all"

What timings have you set?

Have you tried 400MHz FSB* 7.5 multi? Your chip does 0.5 in the multi, yes?

Was version was the Memtest? memtest86+ V2.11? Have you tried running your memory unlinked at its default speed while doing prime blend?

Auto should run four threads but change it to four to be sure.

A quick skim around the net says your VCore is about right for 3.0GHz, the fact that it will do small fft's seems to verify that, when you get the stability sorted you may even be able to lower it.

;)

OT: we asked David for an oc forum and yet people still use general, not picking on you personally as you're not the only one, it is just an overall comment on users of the forum.
:confused:

Back
Top Bottom