Wireless internet disconnects after a few seconds.

happygoluffy

Baseband Member
Hi, I use windows vista and usually what happens is I can connect to the network but cant get onto the internet. I use diagnostics but it doesnt help much. Any idea what the problem is, is this unusual? other computers connected to the network are fine.

well since you can get onto the network but not the internet and the rest of the nodes can connect on the internet tells me that your gateway is blocking you... does your modem or router have a firewall setting in it? If so, that could be the problem. If you can... try connecting to the internet, then go to the command prompt and type in "ipconfig" and post them here and see if the IP addresses can tells us anything.

does your modem or router have a firewall setting in it? If so, that could be the problem. If you can... try connecting to the internet, then go to the command prompt and type in "ipconfig" and post them here and see if the IP addresses can tells us anything.

Hi, I dont know if the wireless router has a firewall, its in another room. Ok I copied and pasted the ipconfig, its quite long though.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g Wireles
s Device
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-CD-CD-61-22
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::34ee:f425:c909:2e01%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 5.0.0.118(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : September-02-09 3:38:33 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : September-02-09 3:44:33 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 5.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 5.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 134226893
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 5.0.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::200:5efe:5.0.0.118%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:500:76::500:76(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

hmmm.... looks like your router serves as a gateway (which is always is), DHCP, and DNS and the subnet mask looks a little fishy to me but other than that I'm not really seeing anything that jumps out at me. How long does it stay connected for? I would try reinstalling the drivers for the adapter as well see if that fixes anything.

The IP address and that seem really weird.

What kind of router do you have?
What are the IP address of the other computers?
Was this taken while you had internet access?
Look to see if the numbers are different when you have internet access and when you don't.
What do you mean 'connect to the network'? How do you test this or do you just see in the Network and Sharing center that there's a straight line between your computer and the network icon?

The IP address and that seem really weird.

What kind of router do you have?
What are the IP address of the other computers?
Was this taken while you had internet access?
Look to see if the numbers are different when you have internet access and when you don't.
What do you mean 'connect to the network'? How do you test this or do you just see in the Network and Sharing center that there's a straight line between your computer and the network icon?

The router is in another room in my building so i dont have access most of the time,
I dont have access to other computer infor for ip addesses either, unless i find a neighbor with an internet connection.
I found the same info in ipconfig/all weather or not I was on the net
For connect to the network, yes I took this from the green line that apears in the network and sharing centre.

One of my neighbors came to my room with their laptop and was able to connect so for sure its my computer. I dont know where he lives so i cant find out what ip adress he used.

Ok so you live in an apartment complex and share the router with other in your building. I would update the wireless network driver and see if that helps. I hate to answer with more questions but:
How often does it connect/disconnect?
Do you have to do anything to make it reconnect?
How strong of a signal do you have?
Is this a recent issue or has this always been happening?

haha gotta love the troubleshooting questions. Thats the thing I hate about my apartment complex. I have my own wireless router that I'm admin on that sits on my desk and can check up on the logs and stuff but I have no idea about the network devices in my complex which I wish I could get access too.

If they have no problems then I would definitly try reinstalling the drivers on the wireless adapter like previously stated. If you're on vista I would try this.

start>network>network and sharing center>view status(right below the connection info)>wireless properties>highlight Internet Protocol Version 4>properties.

Make sure that both obtaining IP addresses and DNS is set to automatic.

EDIT: This may or may not work. It worked for me when I couldn't get on the campus wireless internet. Somehow something changed my DNS to a specific address which was screwing up my internet up.

Ok so you live in an apartment complex and share the router with other in your building. I would update the wireless network driver and see if that helps. I hate to answer with more questions but:
How often does it connect/disconnect?
Do you have to do anything to make it reconnect?
How strong of a signal do you have?
Is this a recent issue or has this always been happening?

I dont have access the to router and it workd for other pcs, my building manager doesnt want to update it or do anything that can make unstable.
I have two networks receptions.
The first is for my building. I can always get the green line between my computer and the network but if i get one going from the network to the internet it disconnects after seconds. It disconnectcs as soon as i try an internet site. It worked for 20 one day thats it.

The second always has a green line between the network and the internet however disconnects after 10 seconds.
To reconnect I go back to the internet site used by the network and i need to re-enter my user name.

There may be a firewall on the first network but I dont know what to do about that. Widows diagnostics also often says "cannot communicate with the dns server" and "Windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically".

For other info that can help I tried three different drivers, windows driver, the cd that came with my wireless adapter and the newest one available on the net no difference.

Also I mostly always had automatic settings for server detection.

Lastly Signal streignth varies between low and fair, sometimes I cant even connect to the router but that is rare and not sure if its because of a low signal. I had someone in my room who was able to connect with their laptop. I'm using a wireless pci card adapter so my reception should be better than a laptop's. And my landlod assures me previous tennants who stayed in my room have had the connection. Still I wonder if that simple factor is the reason why I dont have a stable connection.

It is probably a good bet that could be some of the issue. Try taking your laptop to another site (like a cafe or fast food restaurant) that has WiFi. If it works/doesn't work then we can go from there.

Back
Top Bottom