gaming rig issue

n1kkon

Beta member
Hello all. As the title states, I need help with my gaming rig.
Its been built for a while and here are the specs:

EVGA x58 sli LE mobo

EVGA gtx 285 superclocked edition

Intel core i7 920 @ 3.2ghz ( Overclocked by enabling the " Dummy O.C. feature in bios. "

G.Skill 6GB DDR3 running at 1333mhz

850w Corsair power supply

1tb Hitatachi HDD 7200rpm

windows vista ultimate 64-bit

Zalman CNPS10X Extreme CPU cooler

all in an antec 1200 case.

Okay so my problem is when I run a recent game ( a game with intensive graphics ) Such as oblivion or fallout 3, it randomly crashes and gives me a windows error. Once it locks up and goes back to the desktop the sound from the game stutters until I restart my computer.
This doesnt happen in older games such as TF2 or half life. Just wondering what the problem might be. My drivers are up to day ( at least windows says they are) and I just installed service pack 2 for vista 64 ( havnt tested games since. Im pretty sure its not overheating anyone have any ideas on what to do??? thanks =)

does it lock up EVERY time you Play those two games?
how long will it last?
do you have some temp monitoring software to check the temps?
can you run Prime95 and furmark without crashing?

if so, It would have to be software I guess maybe the service pack will help

Sounds more like a driver problem to me.

What drivers did you install? Did you use the ones on the CD included with the card or from Nvidia's site?

It locks up in both games every time and it locks up in knights of the old republic too.
Its getting pretty frustrating. I re-installed the latest driver from evga website and even re-seated my graphics card all-together. I have tried running in windows compatibility mode and everything. Its not overheating because the game crashes in under a minute of gameplay. half life 2 is completely stable and doesnt lock up. same with TF2 and Prey.

Try rolling back to a different driver version, 181 was pretty stable. I get a BSOD in FC2 with my current drivers - 190.38 - XP32.

It could very well be bad compatibility for those particular games with ForceWare 190.38. (assuming your GTX series card uses the same Forceware.)

EDIT: Looks like 190.62 is out. My statement stands, however. I had no issues with 180-189 series drivers. Sometimes drivers that "increase performance" for a game by xx% typically cause other less popular games to crash or act weird.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are both made by Bethesda (if that relates to anything) and I remember when I played Oblivion, it would crash constantly

I believe it's more the game having bugs than the rig itself

Back
Top Bottom