Changing a PC chipset?

mitch0508

In Runtime
Hi

I have a Packard Bell IMEDIA X2414 with a q6600 core 2 quad at 2.4GHZ. I wanted to overclock it but i cant because the BIOS is locked so i looked at the software solution but i cant find my PLL! Anyway the only way to overclock my pc is to change the motherboard! But there isnt any good OCing motherboards for my chipset (nforce 610i)! Is there a way to change my chipset?

Thanks

Mitch

You cant change the chipset on a motherboard. If you want a different chipset then it means changing the motherboard.

So if i change the motherboard it doesnt matter what chipset the motherboard is?

No as long as the motherboard itself will accept your CPU.

So i'd ask "Whats the best chipset that will go with the Q6600 that will give you a good OC?"

Check out the ASUS P5Q series motherboards?

I've just started to study Intel platforms, possibly for my next upgrade, so i'll leave it for the others here to recommend a decent motherboard for you.

:D

Thanks so much! So all i will have to do is buy that motherboard install it in to my computer and then reinstall windows and i can then overclock?

Thanks

Thanks so much! So all i will have to do is buy that motherboard install it in to my computer and then reinstall windows and i can then overclock?

Thanks

Yea.

These mass market computer builders always lock certain settings in the BIOS to stop people OC their machines. A new motherboard will overcome this.

Just research the motherboards out there that support your CPU, read a few reviews and ask here. I know there's a few here that have got your CPU to some pretty high clock speeds.

Ive looked at the one you recomended but i forgot to mention (sorry) that the case is a Micro ATX so the motherboard will have to be a Micro ATX! (Sorry)

are you running windows 7...? I ask because if you are and change your motherboard/chipset, there's a good chance because of the extensive driver library in windoes 7 that you won't even have to reinstall windoes...

No i dont have windows 7 because i forgot to download the release candidate before the download expired on there site! Is there any other way of geting it now?

Thanks

No i dont have windows 7 because i forgot to download the release candidate before the download expired on there site! Is there any other way of geting it now?

Thanks

if you have Vista, it's driver library is quite extensive as well, it may work...

Back
Top Bottom