Laptop Not Powering On...

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, I've got a laptop here and it's a problem I haven't had before in a laptop. Here's the scoop:

When you turn it on, all of the lights flash for just a second and then go off. No screen, no nothing.

-Hard drive is fine; I've got it hooked up to my computer now.
-I wouldn't suspect the RAM would cause it, but I've had it out and tried to at least have it show some signs of life, and I get the same thing so it's probably safe to say it's not that.
-I tested the battery and it's not dead. So, AKA, the charger hasn't gone bad. Battery was listed at 10.8V, it was measured right around 11, so that seems fine to me.
-I've tried turning it on with just the battery in and also with no battery and just the charger plugged in; and with everything plugged in.
-No fans spin up and the hard drive isn't being accessed in the split second the computer comes on and then off.

Is it safe to assume the MB has gone kaput? Or, is there something else that could be causing this issue? If it makes any difference, I believe it's an HP dv6000, but I'm not sure (can check if needed as it's sitting downstairs).

Hmmm...

Thanks to anyone with suggestions.

Thanks Russ. Had a look through it and didn't really find anything substantial that I could use to diagnose the problem. I fairly confident that it is the MB, though. Everything seems to confirm it....but....who knows.

I'm leaning toward MoBo right now with the way you describe everything. It would seem reasonable.

Yup. I mean everything else checked out. I think these laptops are pretty beat up. I say "these" because this same customer brought in another one that ended up having a dead HDD (that one was an Acer I believe)...it looked like it had been through a war zone. Keys missing and they were using a wireless keyboard to use it. All scratched up and dusty too. It's a Hispanic family, and my guess is that they are seasonal workers (the town I live in has a huge Green Giant canning factory) and travel quite a bit and put a lot of wear and tear on the laptops. Very nice bunch. It's a bummer to tell them how much these things cost to fix. I gladly recommended that they just leave them as is. I can't see how they could afford them. A lot of the people around here that are seasonal workers aren't so hot financially; it's kind of sad. It's definitely a reality check.

Back
Top Bottom