second HD, not recognized after start up

GVSS

Baseband Member
So i just added a second hard drive to my system, and after I booted my system up, the only drive that is shown under "my computer" is my original drive.

When i went to the "device manager" window under "system" in the control panel, the drive is recognized there and says the device is working properly. and i double checked and i have the sata driver for my motherboard installed.

does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

thanks

matt

XP or Vista? Sounds like you need to initialize the disk. Has the new disk been formatted yet?

I'm not sure if this is exact for XP, but for Vista:

Control panel -> Admin Tools -> Comp Mgmt -> Then when that window pops up click "storage" -> Disk Mgmt -> Find the HDD on the bottom list. It may be flagged already. Right click to initialize. If it gives you two choices on how to initialize it, it's the top radio button (can't remember what it says exactly).

Format it under NTFS (quick) or just normal NTFS if you want it to scan all the sectors for any deficiencies that may have occurred during manufacturing.

Format it under NTFS (quick) or just normal NTFS if you want it to scan all the sectors for any deficiencies that may have occurred during manufacturing.

Yup. My rule of thumb is that if it's a bare (new) drive, I always do a full NTFS format. If it's been used before with no problems, then I'll just do a quick format.

thanks for the tips guys.

the new hd is installed and works great

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom