router vs. switch vs. hub

?

Performace is:

Router>Switch>Hub.

A router is capable of assigning IP address using DHCP and incorporates a built-in switch.

A Switch receives packets and learns which port to send them to.

A Hub receives packets and broadcasts them out over all ports (creating slowness and collisions much more often than a switch).

haha I had the same questions when I was learning so here it goes...

Router- Routers connect networks together and is by far the "smartest" of the three. Routers can assign local IPs and forward information to specific addresses. Routers can also analyze where a packet needs to go and the best way to get there. So if one route is backed up and busy, a router can route the packet a different and more effecient way.

Switch- The next one down is a switch. A switch can forward packets of info to a specific port but can't do as much as a router can. Plus switches aren't used to connect networks but rather nodes on a subnetwork. Where you see them most is where a collection of computers are (say on a small office floor). The switch connects these series of computers together (then a router connects the switches together and at times servers as well).

Hub- The hub is the next step down and they aren't really used anymore except in older networks. Hubs simply take in packets and broadcast them to every node on the network. This can be really ineffecient because more times than not, all nodes on the network don't need to see the info. This also poses a security risk of confidentiality. Like I said hubs aren't really used anymore because of its ineffeciency, they're getting replaced by the more effecient switch.

I hope this helps... if I need to clarify something just let me know. Its kinda hard to explain stuff through text instead of person to person.

gah be me to it jmacavali

Plus you put yours in a more concise way ;)

LOL...I thought someone had just recently asked this question. Looks like you've got if figured out though. Good job.

haha I had the same questions when I was learning so here it goes...

Router- Routers connect networks together and is by far the "smartest" of the three. Routers can assign local IPs and forward information to specific addresses. Routers can also analyze where a packet needs to go and the best way to get there. So if one route is backed up and busy, a router can route the packet a different and more effecient way.

Switch- The next one down is a switch. A switch can forward packets of info to a specific port but can't do as much as a router can. Plus switches aren't used to connect networks but rather nodes on a subnetwork. Where you see them most is where a collection of computers are (say on a small office floor). The switch connects these series of computers together (then a router connects the switches together and at times servers as well).

Hub- The hub is the next step down and they aren't really used anymore except in older networks. Hubs simply take in packets and broadcast them to every node on the network. This can be really ineffecient because more times than not, all nodes on the network don't need to see the info. This also poses a security risk of confidentiality. Like I said hubs aren't really used anymore because of its ineffeciency, they're getting replaced by the more effecient switch.

I hope this helps... if I need to clarify something just let me know. Its kinda hard to explain stuff through text instead of person to person.

gah be me to it jmacavali

Plus you put yours in a more concise way ;)

the most inefficient part of a hub is that it shares the connection speed with the users, if 10 users are connected to a hub running at 100Mbps they split the speed because they share the connection, so each user is connected at 10Mbps, while 10 users connected to a switch are each connected at the full 100Mbps, in other words hubs are old and are teh suck...

at least that's how I always understood it, please correct me if I'm wrong, it definitely wouldn't be the first time...

LOL...I thought someone had just recently asked this question. Looks like you've got if figured out though. Good job.

haha yeap yeap that was me asking the questions and I did finally iron out the kinks :D Its a great feeling when it finally clicks... I now frequently find myself in "geek moments" where I'm mapping networks at my university and following IP addresses of gateways, clients, servers, etc... (and I just switched my major from business management human resources to the waaaaaaaaay more interesting and waaaaay better information systems :) )

wolvarine... I'm thinking so considering how old the technology is, I'm assuming bandwidth problems are a concern with these clunkers.

the most inefficient part of a hub is that it shares the connection speed with the users, if 10 users are connected to a hub running at 100Mbps they split the speed because they share the connection, so each user is connected at 10Mbps, while 10 users connected to a switch are each connected at the full 100Mbps, in other words hubs are old and are teh suck...

at least that's how I always understood it, please correct me if I'm wrong, it definitely wouldn't be the first time...

I don't know for sure if it's quite as easy as taking the connection speed and dividing it by the number of users BUT they definately share the bandwidth as opposed to a switch where each connection gets the rated amount of speed.

I don't know for sure if it's quite as easy as taking the connection speed and dividing it by the number of users BUT they definately share the bandwidth as opposed to a switch where each connection gets the rated amount of speed.

I will definitely defer to your expertise on this one, it's just something I heard once when bring up the choice of buying either one...

hmmm.. even with a switch you can still share bandwith depending on how it's set up.

if you use a lan cable to connect two switches together then all the clients on switch A will have to share the same 100mb cable to resources on switch b and visa versa,

carrying on with my pedantic streak switches can also serve DHCP, depending on what switch you get. (not all switches are created equal!).

Back
Top Bottom