Wireless Printer Issues (Not Staying Connected on Restart)

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Alright. I've got some problems with a customers printer and I haven't a clue how to solve them..I feel like I've tried everything, but I'm missing something.

First off, the goal was to install his new printer to his laptop wirelessly (his printer is a wireless one; this does not involve using a router or other computer hooked up to the printer).

Okay, so I do the HP install, and when it asks how I want to install, I choose wirelessly. So yada yada it installs and it's working fine. Well, my dumbass doesn't think to do a restart. He brings it back today saying it doesn't connect (and this guy is already a jack-a, so I'm not happy about this). Well, it seems that every time you restart the computer, you have to right click on the internet icon, go to connect to network, find the printer and connect. Then it works. However, even when you check "save this connection/connect automatically" (or whatever it says at that prompt), it doesn't. It disables at every restart.

I found somewhere on the net that it was norton. That's gone bye bye now, and it's still doing this. Next, I checked to make sure printer sharing was on. It wasn't, now it is...still the same issue. Right now, I'm going to uninstall all the software and try it again, reinstalling with norton (probably) interfering.

Bah. Does anyone have any other suggestions to add?

I should mention that the printer isn't even showing up in the wireless networks listing now. And, yes, it is broadcasting.

FML...worst customer for this to happen to.

EDIT - Okay. Well, I'm figuring it out. I guess Vista won't save and auto connect to ad hoc networks. So I had to write a short cut that would run the command. Now I'm trying to figure out why it's not running when I put it in the start folder to load at start up. Anyone know how I could make a batch file to run at the start up?

The code is as follows:

netsh wlan connect name="profile-name-goes-here" ssid="in-my-case-this-and-the-profile-are-the-same" interface=""Wireless Network Connection""

What I did was make a shortcut and enter the above as the location. But it won't run at startup. It does work though. I tried it manually.

2nd edit - I think I found the registry entry now. I'll check back if I can't figure it out.

3rd edit - Problem solved. Had that shortcut to the command one folder too deep in the location path. Moved it and it works. Most trouble I've ever had with Vista. 'Nuff said.

So for anyone that may have googled this and ended up here, here's the problem and solution:
1) Vista will not save or auto connect to an ad hoc network (for example, wifi printer to computer)
2) Simply create the batch file modified to your specs above, and you'll be good to go. No need to mess with the registry, since I had mistakenly put the shortcut in the wrong folder and that's why I thought it wasn't working. Pretty simple solution, though it literally took 8 hours to fix. Google was no help today haha.

I'm feeling pretty damn good about it, actually. 8 hours of work paid off. And my customer wasn't pissed off anymore because I explained to him that there would have been no way to fix what he called a "problem" (on my end nonetheless!!!!) because of a Vista issue. Then I proceeded to tell him how I spent 8 hours yesterday, regardless, trying to find a work around for him.

Back
Top Bottom