tech

ringtemek

Daemon Poster
What are the advantages and disadvantages of making a computer vs buying a prebuilt one.

How many of u build your own

Theres no hidden surprises in homebuilds
You know exactly whats going in it
You can customize it however you like
The salesman cant give you any b.s. to try to get you to buy a peice of junk, lol

BTW, i bought my laptop and made 2 desktops

I don't see any disadvantages to building your own. It's cheaper, you can get exactly what you want, and most all components carry a long term manufacturer's warranty in case anything goes wrong.

I've been building my own going on 19 years now. I got my first computer from my father in law. It was an old 33Mhz Intel system. First thing I did was to tear it apart to see how it worked. It's been down hill ever since. :D

Definitely build your own.

I've done both; bought pre-built systems when I was younger, but I build them now.

Pros:

- You CHOOSE exactly what goes into it.
- Can upgrade items easily down the road.
- Always cheaper.
- Can be a learning experience and quite a bit of fun.
- Will almost always beat a pre-built computer for the same price in performance.

Cons:

- If a part fails, you have to contact the specific manufacturer for it. You cannot simply call "HP" and tell them the computer doesn't start.
- Always have to make sure parts are compatible.
- Can get tricky sometimes when building the computer itself.

In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons. That's why I built my own, and with the help of this forum, I've been enjoying it very much. :)

Cheers,

Chris

I don't see any disadvantages to building your own. It's cheaper, you can get exactly what you want, and most all components carry a long term manufacturer's warranty in case anything goes wrong.

I've been building my own going on 19 years now. I got my first computer from my father in law. It was an old 33Mhz Intel system. First thing I did was to tear it apart to see how it worked. It's been down hill ever since. :D

my first computer was 4 broken computers from my job that I was given because I asked what they were gonna do with the, none of them worked, but I took all 4 home and took them apart, then I pieced together one working computer from all the parts, I was psyched, I had a computer and it was free, then I started asking questions on this site about how everything worked and how I could upgrade, since then I've been trying to help people who come here because that's how I started and I know how it feels to not understand and want to understand...

:D

I know how fun it can be becuase i've done it before. I was just wondering if there were any major disadvantages to doing it and if i should wait for usb 3.0, sata, 3.0, ddr4, and PCI Express 3.0

I've built 2 machines in total (our 2 latest). The others we've had in the past my dad's mate built, but I decided to on my build, followed by my brothers, and its such a good experience. Sometimes its stressful, but its worth it.
I'd never buy a PC again. Simple as that.

Prices aren't too bad for parts if you know where to look either, but of course, if you go for top of the line parts, you'll pay a premium.

My build in my sig cost around £1000 total (inc monitor/speakers), which was a lot, but you could build the same PC now for a lot cheaper, and I believe my PC to be rather high spec even now.

Back
Top Bottom