Opinions on a video card

You're doing it wrong. I can max out UT3 on my computer, any map, and still get more then 60FPS regardless of what's happening.

I'm not going to argue with you, but there's nothing to do "wrong". On the map where the green crap is in the middle, my FPS drops tremendously, also on all of our gaming computers at work. It's the game engine, aside from a couple areas like that, the game runs good.

Do you remember the game style and map name? I wouldn't mind going to prove a point for you both and the sake of this thread.

Do you remember the game style and map name? I wouldn't mind going to prove a point for you both and the sake of this thread.

Huh, I thought the point of this thread was to help a guy decide on a video card by giving opinions ...on video cards.

Well, it will help you in teh end. Every thread here has an argument and you should know that by now :p.

All in all, I'd suggest the 9400GT as I have a fair idea as to how it performs. I'm not the slightest bit familiar with ATi cards outside the 48xx series cards.

No. We don't need to hijack the thread. There's no argument, my computer did it, his doesn't, end of story.

I'd recommend at minimum a 9600GT and a dual core processor for this setup, not sure what you currently have..

UT3 Box states a 2.0 GHz Single and at least a GeForce 6200 will do. I imagine a 9400GT will do just fine. It might max the game at something like 1152x864 with ~25 Frames or maybe something higher. On a higher res with some bit less detail, you should be fine. He's very right in saying it mostly a processor taxing game. The game is also very PhysX based which is where the CPU taxing comes from. Nvidia GPU's can help offload PhysX processing from the CPU, though.

Ok, how about this? Which card is better this one or this one?

It's not that I don't have the money, but more like if I spent that kind of money on this kind of a luxury item then I would have to put up with a lot of incessant complaining.

that 4350 is definitely NOT a decent gaming card, but neither is the other one, this 9500GT is the only halfway decent gaming card for ~ $100, and if you get that you can literally double your gaming performance by spending $20 more...

I feel for ya, you're in between a rock and a hard place with this one, but that's the reality of it, Best buy's prices are usually way over inflated and if you don't wait for a killer sale (and a killer sale at BB usually only brings the price down to Newegg every day price levels) you aren't gonna get decent performance for your money...

the 4350 and 9400GT that you linked are pretty bad gaming cards even at 1280x1024, it doesn't even take the most graphically intense games to bring those cards to their knees, here's an example...

DX9 benches for 4350 and 9400GT...

this 9500GT 512MB is the absolute best card you can get at BB for your budget at $85, and if I were you that's the one I would get...

I went ahead and got the ATI card. Not so much because I thought it was the best, but more because Best Buy was out of the NVIDIA card I was looking at. So far it's been working pretty well. UT3 runs fine with it and so does my TV tuner card. It even had Windows 7 x64 specific drivers (didn't have to use Vista drivers). I'll have to get a little practice in and then find a good online UT3 game to join. Sorry I got irritated with the off-topic arguments and such. No worries, though. Now that I got my game working I'm in a much better frame of mind...

I went ahead and got the ATI card. Not so much because I thought it was the best, but more because Best Buy was out of the NVIDIA card I was looking at. So far it's been working pretty well. UT3 runs fine with it and so does my TV tuner card. It even had Windows 7 x64 specific drivers (didn't have to use Vista drivers). I'll have to get a little practice in and then find a good online UT3 game to join. Sorry I got irritated with the off-topic arguments and such. No worries, though. Now that I got my game working I'm in a much better frame of mind...

cool, and don't apologize about people in YOUR thread thread-jacking it, they should be apologizing to you if anything, even though it didn't get into an all out argument as cooler heads did prevail, the important thing is that you're happy with your purchase, in the end, our opinions don't matter, just yours...

Back
Top Bottom