Opinions on a video card

cboucher

Fully Optimized
Hey,
I'm thinking about maybe getting this video card. What are your opinions of this card? I'm not trying to run ridiculously taxing games, but I would like it to be able to at least run Unreal Tournament 3 well.

Hi there,

I'd say go for like a 512mb DDR3 9600GT card... I think it'll serve you better as it's more gaming inclined whereas the 9400GT's are more for multimedia type experiences. Maybe even go for a 1Gb 9600GT card. That way it'll last you quite a bit longer and you never know, you might want to run higher end games at a later stage, so it'll be worth the extra money now.

That's what I'd do :)

I'd say go with the 8800gtx, probably cheaper and its the card crysis launched with so for an older card its still good.

8800gtx is more powerful but the 9600gt is better for budget gamers though. Go look at the reviews and decide which one is more within your budget in terms of what it is you need it to do.

I'm thinking about maybe getting this video card. What are your opinions of this card? I'm not trying to run ridiculously taxing games, but I would like it to be able to at least run Unreal Tournament 3 well.
Good luck running UT3 with that card.

The HD 4650 is the same price but performs much better.

Hi there,

I'd say go for like a 512mb DDR3 9600GT card... I think it'll serve you better as it's more gaming inclined whereas the 9400GT's are more for multimedia type experiences. Maybe even go for a 1Gb 9600GT card. That way it'll last you quite a bit longer and you never know, you might want to run higher end games at a later stage, so it'll be worth the extra money now.

That's what I'd do :)

the 9600GT is indeed a good budget gaming card, but if that extra 512MB of VRAM is gonna bump up the cost by more than a few dollars then I'd say just get the 512MB version, at the resolutions where 1GB would be useful (1920x1080+) the 9600GT shows it's true nature as a budget gaming card, and the 512MB isn't what limits that card to budget gaming status so there is really no need for the 1GB version, now if they're the same price then yeah, get the 1GB version, no sense paying extra for something you're probably never gonna use though...

Get an ATI card like the 4650 or the 4670. They're better bang for the buck every time.

Thanks for the replies. Allow me to rephrase the question. I received a $50 gift certificate for Best Buy and I'm willing to go around $30 over. What would you guys suggest as the best video card for that price range from Best Buy. Thanks.

Edit:
Basically, I want to be able to run UT3 and watch TV through my TV tuner card without any noticeable lag (not at the same time, of course).

my friend has a 9400gt it can run Cod5, oblivion, medieval total war no problem
9500 gets 100+ fps with Wow
and you can pick one up for like 60 bucks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121336

my son used to play COD5 on an 8600GT, that doesn't mean it's a great card, if he doesn't really care much about the graphics quality and is running in lower resolution then yeah, get one of the less powerful, cheaper cards, just don't expect much eye candy...

Thanks for the replies. Allow me to rephrase the question. I received a $50 gift certificate for Best Buy and I'm willing to go around $30 over. What would you guys suggest as the best video card for that price range from Best Buy. Thanks.

Edit:
Basically, I want to be able to run UT3 and watch TV through my TV tuner card without any noticeable lag (not at the same time, of course).

honestly, if you're limiting yourself to Best Buy and are still wanting to spend less than $100 you are gonna end up with a pretty craptastic gaming card, if you stretch it over $100 you actually have some halfway decent deals price/performance-wise, your best choice is the 4770 for $110 if you can't find that, if you can't the next best choice is the 4850 1GB for $125...

Back
Top Bottom