ATI 4870/4890 still worth it?

I think I'll play the waiting game, since I'll probably get Windows 7 around the same time as a new card. That'd make more sense.
At least I know I won't have to upgrade the rest of my system, though, maybe my 650 watt power supply won't cut the new cards.

I think I may save up for an SLR now, as I've been planning to do for a while, but never gotten time to do.

Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R to be honest with you, and never even seen it in action... What engine does that use?
I believe, if I'm right, that its a DirectX 10 powered game though. I haven't reached that level of amazingness yet.

In Crysis, you could use some mod settings to get some Directx 10 type features in 9, which is what I did :p

I was reading online, and they are expecting the 5xxx series cards to cost between $500 and $600... Which is too much for me. I'm going to get a 4870, and then when I can afford a 5xxx series card, I will get one.

Yeah that sounds reasonable.
On that premise, even the 4850 might last you until then.

Looking at reviews, maybe not. It can't seem to push Crysis at 1680x1050 past the 20fps barrier.

Has everyone seen this?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qJxqxF55Xo

Its the technology demo ATI released along with the 4000 series of cards. Its running in Real Time too, but using 2 chips running together.

I can't wait for actual games to look this good

Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R to be honest with you, and never even seen it in action... What engine does that use?
I believe, if I'm right, that its a DirectX 10 powered game though. I haven't reached that level of amazingness yet.

In Crysis, you could use some mod settings to get some Directx 10 type features in 9, which is what I did :p

I think it's still DX 9 (Shadow of Chernobyl), but Clear Sky might be DX10...

here's a shameless plug for my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. video though...

:D

I was reading online, and they are expecting the 5xxx series cards to cost between $500 and $600... Which is too much for me. I'm going to get a 4870, and then when I can afford a 5xxx series card, I will get one.

If the HD 5XXXs cost $500+ I'll probably just pick up a 4890; if I can get one for like $300-$400 I'll probably grab one tho.

I expect them to be amazing :x

Yeah, but then, don't forget DirectX 12 coming in 2011 (offering film quality visuals... yet again) with its 6000 series cards to boot! :eek: :p

I'm still waiting for game visuals to catch up with old per-rendered films. Even the latest cards couldn't push Toy Story 1's visuals, and they're pretty basic in terms of pre-rendered films of nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom