Forum "Update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.

+1

I also think it's stupid how so much of the discussion regarding the new forums is happening in the staff lounge according to the mods and David. Forums aren't a democracy, but at the end of the day, members make up a forum and without us, there would be no forum at all. Staff should be involving members in this decision more, not discussing it all in private without input from the people that make up this forum [read: the members].

It's unbelievable how long it takes for suggestions to get implemented or even considered here. It's good that this suggestion is actually getting attention from staff, and I have to admit that staff have definitely improved in that aspect in the last year or so, but still there have been so many great suggestions proposed since I joined the forum that weren't even given the time of day by David and the mods. It took loads of threads to even get things like the reputation system going, custom avatars, etc etc that other forums have had installed by default since they started. There are still several functions of vBulletin that nearly every forum has enabled that this one doesn't, formatting in signatures for example.

The excuse always seems to be along the lines of "it could be abused by members" or "it'll take too much work". Some members of staff were so uptight about enabling custom avatars because people would be abusing the feature and posting inappropriate images. When it was suggested to lower the time limit between PMs (which was idiotic, like 600 seconds?), that would let spammers send more PMs! Spammers can already post in the forum with a much shorter time interval and reach a wider audience than sending random messages to people and even so, vBulletin is much more customizable and flexible than the staff would let you to believe here. You can assign different limitations to usergroups, so the PM timing limit could be higher for new members, effectively voiding the "it could be used for spamming" excuse that was just brought up because every simple click in the Admin CP is too much trouble here and some people are way too scared of change. I don't PM much anymore so I'm not sure if that ever got changed, but even if it did, it took way too much effort in the suggestions forum to do it...

So you're going to ignore a perfectly good suggestion that was made pages back with lots of variety in the sections and emphasis on the computer aspect of the forum and just go your own way and come up with something without input from the members?

I want to give you a super high five right about now, Neon. I applaud you for not being the only one to say exactly what was on your mind. I completely agree with all of that 100%

At this point, it might be best. Considering what you consider "perfectly good" and what I consider perfectly good can be/are different. That goes for everyone here. No two people will like the exact same thign.

No, people won't always agree, but when people do, you don't need to delete their posts or close their threads. And especially, you do not need to delete peoples post when you PERSONALLY don't like it. I'm sorry that you feel you are always correct and that others should bow down. Up until a few people, including yourself, joined in on this thread, we were having very, very productive conversations and things were moving smoothly in a good direction. Then, everything went to hell. I tried to get us back on track with that thread I created. It was biased in NO way and it was not a repeat of this thread. We could made a decision on a layout, and moved forward, but now we are probably further behind than we started with. I would have had no problem with a decision being made in that other thread that I created with going with a layout similar to what David proposed, but he stated he wanted members to agree on something, and that's why I created it. Obviously, maybe you thought your choice wouldn't have won, so you deleted my poll thread...hell if I know what runs through your mind...:rolleyes:

It's like this guys......

No matter what you do, someone is going to be pissed off. If the format gets changed and forums get moved around and whatnot, there is always going to be some members who say "well it should have been done this way" or "this should have been moved here".....so it's almost like, why bother? You can't make everyone happy and whatever changes are made are almost certainly going to cause an argument again. Everyone wants something different and you can't please everybody.

So, unless everyone can agree on something, and then everyone agrees to be happy once changes are made then I doubt anything will happen at all. All the fighting is not helping.

Every time a layout is suggested people suggested their own little twists and add few little boards here and there etc

You see, it wouldn't have mattered if people bickered in the new thread..because there was a poll to choose what layout they wanted. That would have given you something to work on. It would have given you the general idea of what most members wanted...

...vv...

It's like this guys......

No matter what you do, someone is going to be pissed off. If the format gets changed and forums get moved around and whatnot, there is always going to be some members who say "well it should have been done this way" or "this should have been moved here".....so it's almost like, why bother? You can't make everyone happy and whatever changes are made are almost certainly going to cause an argument again. Everyone wants something different and you can't please everybody.

So, unless everyone can agree on something, and then everyone agrees to be happy once changes are made then I doubt anything will happen at all. All the fighting is not helping.

I completely agree. There was so much arguing going on and no progress being made; THAT is why I made the thread that was deleted. As I just said above this, it would have given David a definite layout style to go on/work with. I mean, yes people will always argue, but I was trying to progress this a bit with some baby steps since there hasn't been much compromise. This thread is simply going backwards now. The other thread wouldn't have hurt one bit. You see, it could have been left up and we could've voted in stages. If David cares what the members think (which, I still believe he does), then we could've just made another poll thread for each major "issue" we needed to work on (I'm talking 2 or 3 total...not 50). You know:

First it was this poll thread. Result: People want a new layout.

So then, next, I made the new thread. Result (had it not been closed): Hey we figured out what people think would be the best fit/style for CF.

After that, another thread working out any more major kinks that David or the staff or members found with the chosen format style. Result: Would have progressed more and more towards a final plan.

And then, heck, after that, we could even have voted to okay the final plan. Any bickering in the threads wouldn't really have mattered. It was all coming down to a vote.

I have a strong faith that David knows by reading the posts who agrees with what layout and that he will decide which is best/easiest in the way of moving/laying out/archiving ( < if he chooses to do so).

I do, politely, ask that overclocking be made a little more visible on the forum, maybe it's own category on the front page?

At this point, it might be best. Considering what you consider "perfectly good" and what I consider perfectly good can be/are different. That goes for everyone here. No two people will like the exact same thign.
It would be better to attempt to come to at least somewhat of a general consensus of the community. Sure, people aren't always going to agree and there's nothing you can do about that but everyone can compromise and try to come to a consensus that involves the members moreso than just the staff.

This thread probably wouldn't be the best place because of the drama and conflict that has occurred over the last 11 pages, a new, clean thread would be a better option - dude_56013's thread, perhaps?

This thread probably wouldn't be the best place because of the drama and conflict that has occurred over the last 11 pages, a new, clean thread would be a better option - dude_56013's thread, perhaps?

I'm not quoting you to come over and scream YAY SEE OH HE THINKS THE SAME THING!!!111ONE.

But I am going to say this, again, like I just said above: The two main reasons why I made that thread was to 1) relieve the drama this thread had progressed to and 2) highlight the ideas that came out from this thread instead of sifting through 11 pages.

It would have been a clean slate to work off of. I mean, I don't care that MY thread is reopened; I'd just like to see SOME thread opened so that we can keep the ball rolling. If someone has a better idea of how to keep this progressing then by all means, let it fly. My idea and contribution to keep things moving was my thread, and someone didn't agree with it. So be it, I guess. Though, the person who closed it didn't present any better of a way to keep this issue rolling along so it could eventually be solved.

I also think it's stupid how so much of the discussion regarding the new forums is happening in the staff lounge according to the mods and David.

There is really not all that much discussion in there about it at all. The majority of the discussion stems from Root posting up his idea to see what we thought of it which was then posted up by David who said he was happy to get started making these changes. But most members decided they didn't like it. Pretty much everything in the mod lounge has been said out on the open board....so it's not that stupid really.

I never said you didn't. I said that the majority of posts are relating to roots proposal in that thread. ;)

No, people won't always agree, but when people do, you don't need to delete their posts or close their threads. And especially, you do not need to delete peoples post when you PERSONALLY don't like it. I'm sorry that you feel you are always correct and that others should bow down. Up until a few people, including yourself, joined in on this thread, we were having very, very productive conversations and things were moving smoothly in a good direction. Then, everything went to hell. I tried to get us back on track with that thread I created. It was biased in NO way and it was not a repeat of this thread. We could made a decision on a layout, and moved forward, but now we are probably further behind than we started with. I would have had no problem with a decision being made in that other thread that I created with going with a layout similar to what David proposed, but he stated he wanted members to agree on something, and that's why I created it. Obviously, maybe you thought your choice wouldn't have won, so you deleted my poll thread...hell if I know what runs through your mind...:rolleyes:

Dude, un-knot your panties and get over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom