ATI 4870/4890 still worth it?

Kage

Golden Master
Do you think the ATI HD 4870/4890 is still worth buying? Or do you think DirectX 11 cards are just around the corner, and I should wait?

I've survived with my Geforce 8800GTS 640 for quite a while now, but feel like I need an upgrade to a higher class card about now, so I can perhaps play Crysis again at my full monitor resolution with everything turned on :)

I'm really thinking of going with ATI on my next card though, but for the best money vs performance, are some of the higher range Nvidia cards better? All this Cuda, support, etc?

I have noticed the 4870's and 260's have been on sale a lot. So i think the 11's are coming out but I would still go with 4870/260 because of how much cheaper they will be.

Radeon HD 5800 series (w DX11 support) is going to be unveiled sept10 supposedly.

I'm waiting to see their prices, and even if theyre too high; itll drive 4870 / 4890 prices down, so.

Ya thats what I was getting at, so either way I say go 4870 or 4890 if you have the money.

Yeah, from reviews I've read, the performance increase from the 4870 to the 4890 isn't dramatic, but there is still a difference, but its simply an overclocked 4870, albeit with a few extra components to improve cooling.

I have found this though, on Microdirect for the XFX 4890 1GB:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Search?free_text=ati hd 4890

But, to me, they seem like the exact same card, yet, the price for one is 40 quid more than the other.

I tried to get in contact, but remembered they were closed now, whoops.

Microdirect at least seem to have replaced the 4870 with the 4890, unless thats what the difference is, and its a mistake on their part.

I probably will wait. I'm still running DirectX 9 due to me still running Windows XP. Hopefully I'll move up to Windows 7 though soon.

The HD 5870 and HD 5870 X2 are supposedly going to be almost twice as fast as the 4870s were; with DX11 support and much better handled shading or w/e;

Sounds exciting :D

I really do love technological advancements in gaming technology.

I have to say, the best looking games I've played are Crysis, and Killzone 2 (thats running on 7000 series hardware, in truth...). They simply blow me away.

Well F.EA.R and F.E.A.R 2 both look...okay, but I wouldn't say they have the greatest visuals around. They certainly do look good though, and I thouroughly enjoyed playing through those games.
Games that are starting to wear down on me now, are ones built on the Unreal Engine. I can tell they have been, because they all have a certain look about them.
The Neon engine Codemasters is using is sure fine too.

Well, for me, the 4870/90 is not worth it since theres going to be DX11 cards soon. Was it around December is when they release it?
But then again, there might be cards that uses something DX11.1 a few months later like what happened to DX10. If you have the money, go for it. If not, then wait till you actually want to upgrade. IE maxing out a couple games that you actually enjoy.

Right now, I am playing the waiting game. :p
I hate this game...
:D

Back
Top Bottom