Forum "Update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he did. The exchange is below, and AR pointed out the violated rule after.

I'm talking about the post you deleted. I don't recall him flaming anyone.

(A) Overall flaming or condemnation of posters will not be tolerated. There is no reason to voice derogatory statements about someone because you may simply disagree with their opinions.

In the post I deleted no, but it was mostly irrelevant/complaining about a desision I made. He can feel free to re-post it answering your question from the last page if he wants, but it has to remain on topic.

There really hasn't been that many layouts suggested fully. I count 3. So there's an easy way to sort of solve our current dilemma.

There is a new poll/thread posted. Please go vote, if you feel like it
. It is unbiased and will tell us where to go from here. I think the problem is that this thread has hit a snag and is not progressing. Hopefully this will help us move forward.

Every time a layout is suggested people suggested their own little twists and add few little boards here and there etc

it was mostly irrelevant/complaining about a desision I made.

People complain all the time. If every post that is irrelevant or a complaint was to be deleted this forum would have half of the posts it has now. Just because he disagrees with you doesn't mean you can delete his post.

Can we get back on track here please.

I think I'm going to come up with my own layout and hopefully the majority of people can agree upon something

^ Go for it.

I think J has made a really good point about the archived material. Leave it all in one large archive for the sake of records and start fresh with the new stuff. Just transfer over things like Random Chit Chat, Galleries, Guides and such. It's completely your call.

Well, that wasn't exactly my point. Just create/rename a few forums, and leave the current material undisturbed. There's no need to archive anything. If you need to combine forums, do that. There's a way to move all the threads from one location to another.

People complain all the time. If every post that is irrelevant or a complaint was to be deleted this forum would have half of the posts it has now. Just because he disagrees with you doesn't mean you can delete his post.
Exactly.

Why does everyone need to move the threads in the first place? Just create the new forums and let them flourish. Put the past behind us and leave the current threads where they are.

There is absolutely no need to move four years of archived material.
+1

I also think it's stupid how so much of the discussion regarding the new forums is happening in the staff lounge according to the mods and David. Forums aren't a democracy, but at the end of the day, members make up a forum and without us, there would be no forum at all. Staff should be involving members in this decision more, not discussing it all in private without input from the people that make up this forum [read: the members].

It's unbelievable how long it takes for suggestions to get implemented or even considered here. It's good that this suggestion is actually getting attention from staff, and I have to admit that staff have definitely improved in that aspect in the last year or so, but still there have been so many great suggestions proposed since I joined the forum that weren't even given the time of day by David and the mods. It took loads of threads to even get things like the reputation system going, custom avatars, etc etc that other forums have had installed by default since they started. There are still several functions of vBulletin that nearly every forum has enabled that this one doesn't, formatting in signatures for example.

The excuse always seems to be along the lines of "it could be abused by members" or "it'll take too much work". Some members of staff were so uptight about enabling custom avatars because people would be abusing the feature and posting inappropriate images. When it was suggested to lower the time limit between PMs (which was idiotic, like 600 seconds?), that would let spammers send more PMs! Spammers can already post in the forum with a much shorter time interval and reach a wider audience than sending random messages to people and even so, vBulletin is much more customizable and flexible than the staff would let you to believe here. You can assign different limitations to usergroups, so the PM timing limit could be higher for new members, effectively voiding the "it could be used for spamming" excuse that was just brought up because every simple click in the Admin CP is too much trouble here and some people are way too scared of change. I don't PM much anymore so I'm not sure if that ever got changed, but even if it did, it took way too much effort in the suggestions forum to do it...

David Lindon said:
I think I'm going to come up with my own layout
So you're going to ignore a perfectly good suggestion that was made pages back with lots of variety in the sections and emphasis on the computer aspect of the forum and just go your own way and come up with something without input from the members?

So you're going to ignore a perfectly good suggestion that was made pages back with lots of variety in the sections and emphasis on the computer aspect of the forum and just go your own way and come up with something without input from the members?

At this point, it might be best. Considering what you consider "perfectly good" and what I consider perfectly good can be/are different. That goes for everyone here. No two people will like the exact same thign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom