CPU help

biferi

Daemon Poster
I need help understanding something about my CPU and Front Side Bus and RAM???

My CPU has a FSB of 1800 MHz 3600 MTps
Now I know that 1800 MHz is the speed that the CPU can talk to the RAM
And I know that 3600 MTps is the Speed in Both Directions.

But my RAM is DDR 2. 800 MHz it is very slow then.
So does this mean my FSB is running at 800 MHz??

You don't have an FSB. For AMD systems its a HyperTransport, or HT, link.

Running all over your motherboard is a main clock, that you can adjust to achieve an over-clock. And various components on the motherboard will multiply/divide this clock to give the said component its own clock speed.

For instance. A Phenom 955 BE CPU will use the motherboard clock speed, 200MHz, multiply it by 16 to achieve the CPU speed of 3200MHz. This is proportional to the HT speed - adjustable with a ratio/multiplier setting.

I.E. 200MHz clock, with the above CPU gives you 1800MHz HT link speed with a 1:1 ratio, or X9 multiplier. Increase the clock to 220MHz and the CPU speed bumps up to 3520MHz and the HT speed jumps to 1980MHz.

Likewise the RAM will be proportional to the 200MHz clock speed and as in the above example the RAM speed changes with the clock speed. And is adjustable with a ratio setting.

Without these ratio/multiplier settings over-clocking would be difficult.

Look at the above example in bold. See what happens when you overclock the CPU by raising the clock speed? The HT speed is running at nearly 2000MHz and might cause system instability on some motherboards. (The latest AM3 mobos can handle HT speeds of up to 2600MHz or 5200MHz double pumped). So you would adjust the HT multiplier to X8.5 or X8, 220X8.5=1870 or 220X8=1760, to get the HT speed closer to 1800MHz while achieving an over-clocked CPU.

The same is applicable to the RAM and in the above example.

So your RAM isn't running slow and your FSB isn't running at all cause you don't have one.

Well in my CPU Specs it says Bus Speed of 1800 MHz 3600 MTps
So the Bus Speed is 1800 MHz and 3600 MTps is Hyper Transport??

Well in my CPU Specs it says Bus Speed of 1800 MHz 3600 MTps
So the Bus Speed is 1800 MHz and 3600 MTps is Hyper Transport??

Front Side Bus (FSB) only pertains to Intel cpu based systems, you keep posting the same question, getting the same answers and then posting the same question again...

:confused:

again, the Bus Speed of an AMD cpu based system is not the exact same thing as the Front Side Bus of an Intel based system...

Back
Top Bottom