Forum "Update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need for two threads. I closed that one. Plus it's pretty much been agreed by staff that it's root's design, or none.

I actually liked the 3rd choice in maroon better. I think you should have left the other thread open Celegorm.

I think the thread should remain open too. It's a clean look on opinions and it has all three concepts together. I can't see an argument in favour of closing it.

I see absolutely NO FRICKIN REASON for that thread to have been closed. Celegorm, I'm sorry, but you are a pathetic mod. Clean and simple. You close any thread YOU PERSONALLY think should be closed, and that is just wrong--plain and simple.

There was absolutely NO bias in that thread. At all. It was three wonderful options that people could vote on.

No one is making you stay here as a mod. In fact, I think many of the mods, for the most part (not always), don't seem to contribute a whole lot to the computer side of this forum--more social lounge posting or shooting down ideas. I'm not saying all, I'm saying some. Also, if you are worried about your time, why not step down and let someone else who DOES have the time be a mod? I'm not saying I'm jumping up and down with my hand in the air to be one since I haven't transitioned to college yet, but there surely are other people who would love to put their time in here as a mod.

do one.

This is a good point. Although, we probably don't realize the full extent of your roles here. I mean...maybe you guys want to post in the computer section and just don't have the time between things in your life and CF moderating. So, I'm going to accuse anyone of not contributing because all of our mods here are excellent in what they do. But, if you're really busy with stuff, why not let some of the people who are on this often be mods? Like dude, I'm not waving my hand in the air, as I barely have time for my own leisure nowadays.

Theres a big difference between putting in a few hours most nights and being willing and able to rearrange 46+k posts because someone would like it done.
Ive been a mod here for years, and im not about to give it up because somebody doesnt like the fact im not willing to rearrange a stupid amount of threads, i have time to come on here and be a mod, but not to spend a stupid amount of time rearranging threads which have no real need to be rearranged.

Did we vote for the current mods? I don't think we did (correct me if I'm wrong), so there were no campaigns or plans for what they would "promise" to do.

well considering ive been a mod here for alot longer than youve been a member, then no you didnt vote for me.. mods are not voted on by members, they are hand picked by the present staff as and when the need for new mods arises.. being a mod is not a popularity contest (as it would turn out if it was open to members to vote)

as i said before (regarding the other layout suggestions) i see no reason why the general should not be at the top, with the number of sections there will be the vast majority will be on screen anyway, it makes absolutley no difference.
also.. there is no reason for the OC section to not be a sub section, mabye if it was active and not dead, it would be an idea to have it there, but the whole idea of the re-arrange (i think) was to get rid of the redundant and pretty much dead sections, i see no point in taking these away.. and replacing them with another dead section.

I see absolutely NO FRICKIN REASON for that thread to have been closed. Celegorm, I'm sorry, but you are a pathetic mod. Clean and simple. You close any thread YOU PERSONALLY think should be closed, and that is just wrong--plain and simple.

There was absolutely NO bias in that thread. At all. It was three wonderful options that people could vote on.

How was it any different than this thread? it was a duplicate plain and simple. Do your self a favor. don't insult a mod.

Oh and just for the record, I only closed it. I'm not the one who moved it to spam.

There really hasn't been that many layouts suggested fully. I count 3. So there's an easy way to sort of solve our current dilemma.
There have been 4 actually. I started a thread in the staff lounge proposing a forum layout change that led to root's layout as mentioned earlier by celegorm.

Do your self a favor. don't insult a mod.
From the rules:

(A) Overall flaming or condemnation of posters will not be tolerated. There is no reason to voice derogatory statements about someone because you may simply disagree with their opinions.

Wow. Busy thread. I didn't even realize this was going on :O.

Anyways:

also.. there is no reason for the OC section to not be a sub section, mabye if it was active and not dead, it would be an idea to have it there, but the whole idea of the re-arrange (i think) was to get rid of the redundant and pretty much dead sections, i see no point in taking these away.. and replacing them with another dead section.

I'm guessing that it's inactive because it /isn't/ on the front page. It's never really seen.
Once I get some money together and some good hardware, I hope to liven it up a bit.

Just my 1.5 cents worth.
Since it is agreed that moving threads will be a monster undertaking the quick and nasty way is to make the sections like you want them while retaining the original lay out to work off of. Leave the new sections locked to posting just so members can get a look and offer feed back.
Say at the bottom of the layout as you have it now, construct the forum in the new lay out. Then designate one or two mods that have some free time to read and move the threads to the right place in the new lay out. This part IMO can NOT be done by committee. Some one has to make a timely decision and run with it.
But however you slice or dice it, it's going to be a major undertaking considering how old and how many threads are in this forum. And doing a purge is not the answer.

My idea of a solution to this debate is to upgrade to 3.8. That way you have access to social groups that can be used for special interests like over clocking or modding or even individual models of video cards. Where you go with them is just a matter of what you want to talk about. That way if things go stale, they're not hanging out on the front page looking, well, dead.

I offer my services to help out on an interim bases to help read and move threads around once you get the lay out ready. I'm off on Thursday and Friday and have nothing pressing to do on those days. You know where to find me...

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

Why does everyone need to move the threads in the first place? Just create the new forums and let them flourish. Put the past behind us and leave the current threads where they are.

There is absolutely no need to move four years of archived material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom