Forum "Update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be an ass, but we don't need to do anything.

So, even though the poll states that a rearrangement would be ideal, you refuse to help fellow members figure this one out? I mean...80% is a staggering majority. If the sense that we need to do something is not getting through, then maybe instead of trying to tear us apart, just let us figure it out. I mean, with that poll, I was under the impression that it meant something was to be done, and now, we were just discussing on what way is best to do it.

What "us" is there? This forum is not a democracy. In the end, the only oppinion that matters is David and a lot of you seem to forget that and think you are entitled to every change you want.

It looks like something will be done. Root not only came up with a decent layout, but also work out how to actually do it on David's end. Have any of you done that? All I really see is just layouts without a care of how David could move the threads.

And don't think we are not helping you out here. Clearly we are discussing it in Staff on how to work it out if Root's plan was mentioned before the layout was even given to you. If i wanted to refuse to help you out, I would have closed this thread a long, long time ago.

Guys, we need to meet in the middle. There's no way everyone will be happy.

I am starting to think the the only agenda here is that you end up happy? You don't seem to be even considering the option that it might be you that ends up as one of the unhappy ones.(that is not meant in a nasty way just my opinion).

I really don't think Davids opinion of how he wants HIS forum means much to you.

What "us" is there? This forum is not a democracy. In the end, the only oppinion that matters is David and a lot of you seem to forget that and think you are entitled to every change you want.

It looks like something will be done. Root not only came up with a decent layout, but also work out how to actually do it on David's end. Have any of you done that? All I really see is just layouts without a care of how David could move the threads.

And don't think we are not helping you out here. Clearly we are discussing it in Staff on how to work it out if Root's plan was mentioned before the layout was even given to you. If i wanted to refuse to help you out, I would have closed this thread a long, long time ago.

Yes, this forum is not a democracy. Let me also tell you this, unhappy members leave. No members, no forum.

David is entitled to the final word on everything, however he is not on all the time. If David says he is willing to change things around, what is wrong with having members trying to figure it out? I don't understand why the entire discussion can't be held in a forum where everyone can comment. Us regular members don't have access to all the stuff mods have. We don't know what tools you are given to move threads and whatnot, so excuse us for our ignorance on that part (the complication of moving threads) . Truthfully, it would be much better if we could read what you guys are discussing so we know what is achievable and what is not.

I am starting to think the the only agenda here is that you end up happy? You don't seem to be even considering the option that it might be you that ends up as one of the unhappy ones.(that is not meant in a nasty way just my opinion).

I really don't think Davids opinion of how he wants HIS forum means much to you.

This layout is nowhere near where I'd like it to be. I have given up on other things, I just don't bitch about it. If you don't move some forums out of their sub-sections and delete others, this rearrangement is accomplishing nearly nothing.

edit: Just to put this out there. I have given up on nearly all the changes I was pushing for around here. I'm trying to achieve 2 things (which I find essential):

1. General (Social Lounge, etc) be the last section of the forum. We want a mentality that computers come first.
2. OverClocking/Modding/Cooling be a forum on the main page under Hardware. Why? These are the things that most people who tinker with computers like to do. I can't understand why it has to go under Processors--a random forum that does not enclose all of the parts involved with the process.

Yes, this forum is not a democracy. Let me also tell you this, unhappy members leave. No members, no forum.

David is entitled to the final word on everything, however he is not on all the time. If David says he is willing to change things around, what is wrong with having members trying to figure it out? I don't understand why the entire discussion can't be held in a forum where everyone can comment. Us regular members don't have access to all the stuff mods have. We don't know what tools you are given to move threads and whatnot, so excuse us for our ignorance on that part (the complication of moving threads) . Truthfully, it would be much better if we could read what you guys are discussing so we know what is achievable and what is not.

This layout is nowhere near where I'd like it to be. I have given up on other things, I just don't bitch about it. If you don't move some forums out of their sub-sections and delete others, this rearrangement is accomplishing nearly nothing.

edit: Just to put this out there. I have given up on nearly all the changes I was pushing for around here. I'm trying to achieve 2 things (which I find essential):

1. General (Social Lounge, etc) be the last section of the forum. We want a mentality that computers come first.
2. OverClocking/Modding/Cooling be a forum on the main page under Hardware. Why? These are the things that most people who tinker with computers like to do. I can't understand why it has to go under Processors--a random forum that does not enclose all of the parts involved with the process.

I'm not going to go on and on about your post because I have been up on no sleep for over 24 hours, but +1,000 to this. For one, yeah, David still hasn't come back to us again in this thread. Second, again, we don't know what tools you mods have; and we don't get to see any of your little "private" discussions about what's going on. And thirdly, you are extremely correct in the fact that unhappy members leave. I would hope that David would see the majority of "yes" votes, that he would consider making changes. I do agree though, that we are kind of split as for a total revamp or a rearrangement. That is not shown through the poll, but by posts in this thread, which I hope David kindly took the time to read through since a lot of good, important things were said. Lastly, as Joga stated, we have no idea how stuff is moved; I've stated in my posts that I would have no idea how to do it, but all I get in response is "oh, well that can't be done blah blah" or "that takes too long..yada yada..." which I don't feel are very good answers to a fairly easy question/inquiry. But...eh. I'm still standing behind the fact that we need to do most/all or nothing at all.

David still hasn't come back to us again in this thread.

Its been a day since he last replied with a workable layout as set up by root.. he also said he would have a look at setting it up (on the backup server first so any.. well.. cock ups.. didnt affect the forum)

mods have 'little private discussions' for a reason.. it is a place for us to discuss what is happening in the forum.. be it members who we need to keep an eye on, or things like this.. but it a place for us to have a talk without a load of random crap being said

as far as moving threads goes.. we have a drop down menu, kinda like the search bar at the top of the page, where we select what we want to do to the thread, if we want to move it, we go into another screen, which we can select where we want the thread to go, and if a redirect should be shown, we save that and it takes us back the thread, so its basically go into the thread, select a menu, taken into another menu and saved... now doing that with 46,606 threads would take bloody ages (as i hope you can realise) we arent just saying

response is "oh, well that can't be done blah blah" or "that takes too long..yada yada..." which I don't feel are very good answers to a fairly easy question/inquiry.

for no good reason.. you dont understand or know anything about it, so how can you just assume that we are being deliberately obtuse about it.

Root's suggestion actually had a thought out explanation of how it would and could be done, rather than saying 'this is what i want' and throwing his toys out the pram when exactly what he wanted wasnt incorporated immediately.

one other thing you have to realise is that the mods here are volunteers.. we give up our free time to come on here and help out.. and all we get is crap and arrogance in return. some people have jobs, and between working 55+ hours a week and everything else i do, i dont have time to sit here and re-arrange 46+k threads just because someone wants it to be done. Root has actually thought about the logistics and how it can be done.

i see no reason why general should be at the bottom, its fine at the top.. if it was spaced out hugley with loads of different sections, then mabye, but pretty much everything fits onto one screen for me, and will do with the suggested layout. its pretty easy to just click on the section for computers, i see no reason why the order makes any difference at all.
as far as OC goes.. ive already said what i have to say about that, there is no reason to have a dead section on the front page.

I mean...80% is a staggering majority. If the sense that we need to do something is not getting through, then maybe instead of trying to tear us apart, just let us figure it out
what the hell do you think were doing? we have been discussing it in the staff area, and have come up with a re-arranged solution. the logistics of a total re-vamp means that is not going to happen, so we have come up with another solution. just because it is not exactly what you are demanding that doesnt mean that we are not doing anything. if we were so determined not to do anything as you are trying to make out, this thread would have been closed a long time ago.

anyway enough of this.. work in 5 hours need some sleep, no doubt i will come back tomorrow to the same thing said over and over another 5 times.

Well I would like to ask for an explanation. The mods Celegorm and Lowndsey seem to be shooting down joga for the most part, and I don't really understand why. Secondly, I'd like to know how root's layout works better than those previously suggested. How would it be more efficient as far as moving threads goes.

I ask mostly because it seems like the members are trying to suggest things, which are being shot down, and then root suggests something and the mods seem to think it's the only reasonable option. I am simply asking for better understanding, I am not trying to come off as an ass.

EDIT: Mark had just posted before I posted this and didn't see it. Most of my questions were answered in his post. Though I would still like to understand the logistics of root's proposed arrangement, if that isn't too much to ask...

his suggestion puts down how exactly it can be done, in a clear and laid out manner, step by step. as i said before, he has actually thought about the logistics of how it can be achieved, rather than the suggestion from joga...

If "halfarsing" it is the only way to get this change, that's what I'm going to push for.

his suggestion puts down how exactly it can be done, in a clear and laid out manner, step by step. as i said before, he has actually thought about the logistics of how it can be achieved, rather than the suggestion from joga...
Well in Joga's defense we didn't really have a way of figuring out logistics since he and other members arn't mods. Do we have access to his instructions or is that staff only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom