3 way SLI or better card?

awesome vids

why is that to be expected?
what am i missing here?

multiple cards in SLI or X-fire usually do not scale well, that's pretty much common knowledge, the driver support is getting better but two cards still won't give you twice the performance and three won't give you 3x the performance...

So i should go for 2 285s right? And those take the 8 pin connectors from the psu?

so total price for everything is about 2,200
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case $169.99
EVGA GTX 285 Superclocked Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 (2) $729.98 2
ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+ ERV1050EWT 1050W
Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

So i should go for 2 285s right? And those take the 8 pin connectors from the psu?

you won't be using the 8 pin connectors with the GTX285, but you will use four of the 6 pin power connectors (two per card), your psu has enough connectors for tri-SLI so that's really up to you...

tri-SLI would be the fastest option available, I've heard that quad-SLI, two GTX 295s, has some problems and the fastest gpu setup ATM is tri-SLI GTX 285s, whether it's worth the cost is a personal opinion, but don't just look at a cards benchmarks and FPS and figure you'll get 2x or 3x that number if you SLI or tri-SLI the card, especially when you look at benchmarks and see that tri-SLI rarely gives you 2x the performance over a single card...

alright i new it took 2 power connectors but i was wrong about the 8 pins. I got an instruction manual with my old 260 that said it takes 8 pins but i geuss it was wrong.

And is that a good build? just wondering cause my budget is around 2500 and thats about 2200 so i was just trying to think of a way to improve it, and spend the rest of the budget.

alright i new it took 2 power connectors but i was wrong about the 8 pins. I got an instruction manual with my old 260 that said it takes 8 pins but i geuss it was wrong.

And is that a good build? just wondering cause my budget is around 2500 and thats about 2200 so i was just trying to think of a way to improve it, and spend the rest of the budget.

dude, that build puts you in the 99th percentile as far as builds go...

:D

i was thinking about changing the cpu to the 950 and changeing the cards to the bfg card with 2g of ram each. which put it at 2513.

The 950 is not even close to being worth twice the price. And the 2GB of VRAM will bring zero performance improvements. Just stop worrying.

ssd, or another hdd for raid 0. fancy keyboard (logitech g 19) fancy mouse (logitech g9x)
extra fans, LED's for decorations, cold cathodes. or maybe order that power supply rom frozencpu.com or performance-pcs.com and have them sleeve all the cables for you or chenge around the molex connectors for uv blue (glow if you have cold cathodes)
spend some money on good thermal paste (tx-3) get a better heatsink (thermalright ultra 120extreme 1366). there are lots of possibilites

p.s. ultimate upgrade, go a little over the budget and get a good water cooling system

Back
Top Bottom