Freakin Vista

buxtahuda

Baseband Member
So, we've had our network working just fine, with all our stuff connecting and getting on the internet, been a good week. Yesterday, suddenly my brother's Lenovo laptop with Vista on it just wouldn't connect right. It will connect to the router (though I for some reason can't open the web-based settings from the laptop) but not the internet. Even when I plug a direct cable from the wireless router it won't connect to the internet, and it shows the LAN as an unknown network??? The desktop runnin XP Pro is direct connected to the wireless router and accesses the internet just fine; what the hell is up?

Before I go into anything, did he change anything on teh laptop recently? Like install/ uninstall programs or change any settings?

Before I go into anything, did he change anything on teh laptop recently? Like install/ uninstall programs or change any settings?

No to most. We were trying to make his Vista laptop and XP desktop network nicely (never did get Vista to be able to properly map and access the XP machine) and he did some stuff some online forums said do. If I remember right he went to Administrative Tools and set some Services from manual to automatic.

And another problem, the Vista network map was messed up bad. We have it connect to a wireless router which connects to a modem then to the internet. The map was showing us as connecting to the wireless router, then to our bridge, then to our second wireless router, then to the internet (which is an impossible instance since the second router connects to the internet through the first to the modem.)

As for networking them together, it should be pretty easy if both are in the workgroup/ on the same domain.

Using a different computer and a flash drive, get the latest wireless (and for good mesure LAN) drivers and see how those help.

I have had similar problems, i restarted my modem and computer and it worked. Have you tried that yet?

They're in the same workgroup. Dunno bout the domain though, how would I check? The XP computer can see the Vista and access the files through folders, and the Vista can see the XP computer, but you can't look at the folders and files; you double click the icon and it opens the media files in media player but that's all, we can't access any actual files.

I'll try the updates and all once I'm off work and post what happens.

Yes, we reset the modem, wireless router, and both computers; the modem isn't the problem cuz the XP computer's internet is just fine, but not the Vista's.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

P.s. I'd find the updated WLAN and LAN drivers on the Microsoft website?

Updated drivers are best gotten through the manufacturer's website. If you need help locating them, give us the exact model laptop and we can help you.

As for the domain, if you are in a workgroup, it's impossible to be on a domain at the same time. That, and domains typically are only used in businesses anyways.

I had the same problem with a mates laptop. It worked fine then just wouldn't access the internet via wifi even though it was connected to the router.

Turns out it was the Anti virus software that was stopping the internet connection.

Try removing the AV software and re-installing it.

I had the same problem with a mates laptop. It worked fine then just wouldn't access the internet via wifi even though it was connected to the router.

Turns out it was the Anti virus software that was stopping the internet connection.

Try removing the AV software and re-installing it.

He has some Nortons or other, and I thought it would be the firewall at first. Disabled it and nothing happened. And we'll get the drivers, I'll post an update. What gets me is that it won't even work when wired directly, ya know? Out of all the things I've read, people were only having problem with the WiFi. But we'll see about disabling/uninstalling Nortons if the drivers don't work; his subscription is just what came with the computer so I don't know if he'll be up to, we'll see.

What antivirus would you say is the best for the price, if we wanted to buy one? I know Norton is supposed to be real good, but I've seen that a lot of people reflect that you're just paying for the name.

Don't worry about getting rid of Norton AV. I used it when I was 'asked' to give it a try many years ago but it uses up too much resources unnecessarily.

Try avast! or AVG. Apart from trying Norton for a day these are what i've used for the past 4-5 years. And they're free.

Back
Top Bottom