How do I run a search which results in all the files/subfolders in a directory?

DjSqueekz

Beta member
In XP, if you wanted to say, select all the mp3's in a directory that had contained a lot of subfolders, you could run a search leaving the search bar empty and pressing enter. The results would then be every file/subfolder within the directory which you could then sort by file type, select all the mp3's, and drag into a new folder. HOW NIFTY!!!

In Vista, leaving the search bar blank and hitting the enter button does nothing... you have to type something in, so unless you had a single character that was in the name of every folder/file, its useless:mad: :mad: ! Is there any easy way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
~Squeekz

In XP, if you wanted to say, select all the mp3's in a directory that had contained a lot of subfolders, you could run a search leaving the search bar empty and pressing enter. The results would then be every file/subfolder within the directory which you could then sort by file type, select all the mp3's, and drag into a new folder. HOW NIFTY!!!

Nah, there was a much better way - search for *.mp3!

I haven't got a Vista machine around but I would imagine the same wildcard trick works. Wildcards are the solution to this kind of problem, so have a read up on them - leaving it blank isn't a nifty trick, it's a dirty hack ;)

Nah, there was a much better way - search for *.mp3!

I haven't got a Vista machine around but I would imagine the same wildcard trick works. Wildcards are the solution to this kind of problem, so have a read up on them - leaving it blank isn't a nifty trick, it's a dirty hack ;)

getting all the mp3's selected and moved was just an example of how it was helpful. I still would like to know how to get ALL the files/subfolders within a directory displayed, and have the ability to sort them by whatever and move them around.

As I said, learn about wildcards...

* is your friend for everything.

alright, i wasn't sure what you meant by wildcard at first but i get it now. The * definitely works for me.

the weird thing is that when I used the * search to clear out a directory with 237 files (according to the properties), It only found 221 files. after i moved the 221 out, the properties said there was 16 files left, but all the subfolders where empty (even with "show hidden files" enabled) Are there ghosts in my computer or what?

Back
Top Bottom