Wired or wireless??

twiggi09

Beta member
im setting up a cpu upstairs and getting wireless for the xbox but should i also use it for the computer?

if i were to use wireless internet i would use something like a belkin usb reciever which is about 54 mps

would i get a better connection if i used an ethernet cable which would be about 20-30 metres long??

I always go wired, wireless tends to be slower. I only use wireless when needed, like when I go to starbucks ect. I am not sure if that length of the cable will effect you that much.

...would i get a better connection if i used an ethernet cable which would be about 20-30 metres long??

Yes, you would see some improvement. Wireless work OK, but I've always gotten better performance with wired. The length should be fine, cat 5 ethernet cable is rated for lengths up to 100 meters.

I always like having a LAN connection instead of a wirless LAN (WLAN). But thats just my personal opinion. Wireless can be... finicky... is a way to put it.

Wired has the advantage of being:

- Faster
- More reliable
- More secure
- More flexible (whack a switch at the end of a cat5/6 cable and get a few more connections for example.)

So yes, I always run cables where I can. Laptops wandering about the house constantly no, but if something's staying in the same place then running a cable is pretty much always the better option from a technical perspective.

thanks, its backed up that side of things for me, i was 40/60 on it now i know what im going ot do, if it was a laptop, like berry said, it would be more useful but unless i find a way to carry my cpu and find a way to mount my monitor, keyboard and mouse plus get the power cables to follow me, dont see much point in wireless lol

even for my laptop at my apartment, even though I have a wireless N network, I still have network cables laying around to plug in whenever I can. It's just more secure, and more reliable for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom