Buying new PC

hypoxia1

Beta member
hi there, I am looking to invest some money into a new gaming computer, and I wanted to see if a quote I got is reasonable, here is the quote below...

CASE * NZXT Apollo (Black)
POWERSUPPLY * 1x HEC Zephyr 650Watt Power Supply
MOTHERBOARD * 1x Asus P6T (LGA1366)
CPU * 1x Core i7 920 2.66Ghz (LGA1366)
CPU FAN * Socket 1366 Active Copper Heatsink
RAM * 6x 2048MB DDR3/1333MHz Non-ECC Non-Registered Memory Module
FLOPPY * 1x 52 in 1 Internal Card Reader / Writer with USB
CD DRIVE 1 * 1x LiteOn 20X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer + CD-RW SATA Drive (Black) w/Lightscribe Technology
VIDEO CARD * 2x Nvidia GTX 285 1GB Dual DVI (PCI-E)
HARD DRIVE * 1x 1000Gb (1 Terabyte) 7200RPM 16Mb Buffer Serial ATA300 (SATA II) HDD
OS * 1x Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (Installed w/CD) 64-bit (which I will switch to xp64)

quoted for $2061

also will that power supply do for this system or do I need to step it up to 800w?

you should wait for windows 7,
you definently dont need 2 285's especially with a mid tower case.
also 12 GB's of RAM is not needed, you would be fine with 6, unless your doing some extreme video encoding-playback. And your going to need more than a 650 watt power supply

That's a little overpriced; Who quoted it for you?

I designed an I7 system for myself a while back with much better parts + liquid cooling for the CPU for a little under 2G.

Okay

1. That case is ugly and prolly a little small for what you got goin there. i would definitely recommend a Lian-Li full tower, those things are great

2. Scratch that power supply and get something more reliable and at least 800watts to play it safe

3. Dont waste your money on a floppy drive, you'll never use it.

4. Do not pay for vista right now. get the windows 7 RC and then you can buy 7 when it comes out

Okay

1. That case is ugly and prolly a little small for what you got goin there. i would definitely recommend a Lian-Li full tower, those things are great

2. Scratch that power supply and get something more reliable and at least 800watts to play it safe

3. Dont waste your money on a floppy drive, you'll never use it.

4. Do not pay for vista right now. get the windows 7 RC and then you can buy 7 when it comes out

the way it looks is his own opinion
however for the size i agree

and its not a floppy drive, its a card reader

Or buy Vista Premium 64 with a Se7en upgrade coupon. It's only 109.00 on NE right now. I don't disagree that Lian-Li's FTs look great, but they cost about 300 dollars. If you like NZXT, their Tempest is a great looking case. Looked alright for optimum flow as well, but I only saw photos. I'm not sure about cable management either.

As others have stated, 12Gb of RAM is a little much. I won't hold you from it if you want it, but practically nothing even uses 6Gb of RAM these days. It's your call.

2 GTX 285 1Gb's sounds like one hell of an SLI system to me. It's a good way to stay future proof, but if you're doing that, grab a 3x SLI board. So you can pop a third one in when that time comes in a few years. (or months :p)

Or buy Vista Premium 64 with a Se7en upgrade coupon. It's only 109.00 on NE right now. I don't disagree that Lian-Li's FTs look great, but they cost about 300 dollars. If you like NZXT, their Tempest is a great looking case. Looked alright for optimum flow as well, but I only saw photos. I'm not sure about cable management either.

As others have stated, 12Gb of RAM is a little much. I won't hold you from it if you want it, but practically nothing even uses 6Gb of RAM these days. It's your call.

2 GTX 285 1Gb's sounds like one hell of an SLI system to me. It's a good way to stay future proof, but if you're doing that, grab a 3x SLI board. So you can pop a third one in when that time comes in a few years. (or months :p)

ok, so I will switch to vista premium 64 with the se7en upgrade coupon, as far as the cards go, I am looking for a computer I will not have to touch for a few years and still get decent performance... I would like to stay away from building my own computer. I do not want to do something wrong and have to buy a new one rather than being under warrenty

ok, so I will switch to vista premium 64 with the se7en upgrade coupon, as far as the cards go, I am looking for a computer I will not have to touch for a few years and still get decent performance... I would like to stay away from building my own computer. I do not want to do something wrong and have to buy a new one rather than being under warrenty

It's nearly impossible to put something in incorrectly. You'll know that if you are really forcing it, it's incorrect, and it either goes elsewhere or is oriented incorrectly. Also, the individual parts are warrantied by their respective companies. Usually 1 year and up. You will have to pay for a warranty at most computer companies. Many of us here started our computer futures/skills at this forum by having members walk us through the building process. We'd be happy to do the same for you.

one GTX295 would do just fine, I would go with the one powerful card rather than SLI...

one GTX295 would do just fine, I would go with the one powerful card rather than SLI...

I second that. Dual 285 would be nice for insane resolutions on a large screen, but one 295 would get GREAT res, and amazing performance. That 295 will be my new card of choice next month when I build my new rig :)

Back
Top Bottom