Yay!

You can use rubbing alcohol, followed by water, or you could use this stuff. (a coffee filter works great for removing it).

That arctic silver thermal remover that I linked to works miracles. It completely dissolves even the wax pads found on P3s.

Yeah but I'd rather not order anything.
Would it work if I took rubbing alcohol, put it on a q-tip get the stuff off, then use a dry q-tip to wipe the rest off.
Then would I have to apply the paste to BOTH the CPU and heatsink, or just one of them?

Just apply it to the CPU.

Any lint-free cloth would work for removing it. The Q-tip would probably work ok. If I don't have a coffee filter available, I usually use a wash cloth. If you use a Q-tip, make sure no cotton is left on the heatsink when you're done. You should use water to rinse the alcohol off of the sink.

Just apply it to the CPU.

Any lint-free cloth would work for removing it. The Q-tip would probably work ok. If I don't have a coffee filter available, I usually use a wash cloth. If you use a Q-tip, make sure no cotton is left on the heatsink when you're done. You should use water to rinse the alcohol off of the sink.

Yeah I have glasses so I have a microfiber cloth.
Would that work better then the q-tip?

Yes, it would. It might get dirty/greasy from the compound, though. If you have a "bad" one, that would probably be the best thing to use.

Thank God I am getting good reviews on that card! Thought I was in trouble :D
I won't be using it in SLI as it doesn't seem my motherboard can support it (Not sure so please correct me if anything)

you can run SLI on that board, but it won't be 2x16, it would be 2x8 which really wouldn't give you much of a boost, I'd just stick with one powerful card on that motherboard...

you can run SLI on that board, but it won't be 2x16, it would be 2x8 which really wouldn't give you much of a boost, I'd just stick with one powerful card on that motherboard...

Sweet but I probably won't run SLI anyway, I'd rather just get a much more powerful card and just run it like that, makes more sense IMO.
Do you guys have any tips for me or anything?
Can you guys like think back to like your first time (Building :D) and like tell me stuff I'd need to know? Thanks!

But still, name one card that uses all of the bandwith of a PCIe 16x slot.

My suggestion: get one powerful card now, when it becomes too little for you, buy another and run SLI.

For the 20+4 pin plug, make sure all 24 pins are plugged in. Some people are thrown off by that. If you only have two memory modules, put them in the same color slots.

Back
Top Bottom