Building My First Computer

jeffhghtn

Beta member
I've decided to build a computer, and after ravaging the internet, I found some basic parts I like, but still have a lot of questions.

To start, here are the parts:

Intel Core i7 920 Processor
MSI X58 Pro-E Motherboard
Patriot Viper 6GB PC12800 Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive
HIS Radeon HD 4870 Video Card

The computer will definitely be used for gaming, but I want something I can't overclock. Basically a well rounded computer that will last me a while before I need to upgrade, and will be upgradable when that time comes.

I am looking for less expensive parts, but if anyone has a good upgrade suggestion I won't mind spending the money (or a downgrade that will save me money w/o cutting performance!)

I haven't selected a case or power supply, nor a way to cool it. That is one thing I'm yet to look into, so any quick suggestions would be appreciated.

I want to have a dvd/cd drive, but chances are I will use it very little, so am I okay to go with a cheap one?

I also want to run Dual Monitors (at some point, though not right away). What should I do to go about that?

Sorry for all the questions! Any answers would be great.
Meanwhile I'll keep looking around the internet myself.

Thanks,
Jeff

I've been looking at this case:
XION II XON-101 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply

If I get it, I don't need a power supply, correct?
And I've read that power supply is something you shouldn't cut budget on (after watching a video of exploding computers), so will these be able to keep up? Or am I better off going with a corsair power supply and buying a case that doesn't need the power supply?

I've been looking at this case:
XION II XON-101 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply

If I get it, I don't need a power supply, correct?
And I've read that power supply is something you shouldn't cut budget on (after watching a video of exploding computers), so will these be able to keep up? Or am I better off going with a corsair power supply and buying a case that doesn't need the power supply?

I definitely wouldn't use that psu (probably a Xion as well) with that build, that build would bring that psu to it's knees sooner or later, personally I'd get a Corsair 750HX or 850HX or Antec Signature 850w, with a build like that you don't want to take any chances and you will also have plenty of headroom for upgrades later...

cases are a matter of personal choice so I won't suggest any, get what you think looks good to you, LED fans, bottom mounted psu bay, etc., but I wouldn't suggest getting a case/psu combo with the high quality parts you're running, most of those combos have rather crappy or underpowered psus...

My Final Build and Three More Questions:

Processor: Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz Processor
Motherboard: Foxconn FlamingBlade GTI
Memory: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive
Video Card: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
Case: COOLER MASTER Elite NV-334-KWN1-GP
DVD/CD drive: Sony Optiarc 24X
Heat Sinks/Fans: Xigmatek HDT-S1283

Questions:
1. I'm going windows, I should go Vista, right? (Maybe windows 7 upgrade in 2 months).
2. Do I need two graphics cards and a second port to go dual monitor? I can set this up later (seeing as I'm not shooting on it right now).
3. I've looked everything over, but there is nothing wrong with the parts I got going, is there?

Thanks For The Help!!
- Jeff

OOPS!

Nevermind! After I posted you responded LOL!

Anyways...

it all looks good to me, but maybe change the DVD burner because I personally have had major issues with that Sony model. I bought 15 of them for some PC builds at my work, and 9 of them crapped out in 2 months of LIGHT usage.

Vista 64 bit is fine, get the Win 7 upgrade free.
You dont have to have two cards for dual monitor, but it helps since the paylaod would be higher. Maybe two 4870's in crossfire? Thats a sweet hookup.

Back
Top Bottom