GPU overclocking guide.

I will perhaps add a BIOS flashing guide and maybe some voltmods later on.

Please? I'd love to learn. I've heard of BIOS flashing tools for the cards, and higher grade Nvidia cards come with a voltage modifying tool but I'd love to learn about the technique you use for cards that cannot have the voltage easily modified. :)

i would love to read a BIOS flashing guide
for anything that can be flashed
and any mods would be awesome as well :D

Great guide! +1 for sticky.

Grantofhell had just referred me to this guide and I have a few questions. I have the latest River Tuner and Firmark downloaded. When I check for stability using FurMark, what rez do I need to run it at? The rez that I play my games at? And does it have to be fullmode? You also sad do a 60 sec test when @ the Core and watch for artifacts, does the FurMark have a count somewhere of the artifacts if they do accrue? Or is this something that you yourself need to watching for when doing the 60 sec test? And last question, I always have my fan speed at 70% all the time, do I need to set it to manual wile I'm @?

Thanks

Set it to your monitor's res. As for your second question, ATi Tool has a artifact finder. I would not suggest doing ANY sort of overclocking on an Nvidia card with ATi Tool.

EDIT: When is a mod going to sticky this? Or at least add it to the guide section.

Set it to your monitor's res. As for your second question, ATi Tool has a artifact finder. I would not suggest doing ANY sort of overclocking on an Nvidia card with ATi Tool.

EDIT: When is a mod going to sticky this? Or at least add it to the guide section.

Well I'm in the process of @ right now, so far its 743 core stable from default 675. I'm doing my best to try and watch out for any type of artifacts because as I mentioned before I don't think FurMark has an artifact finder count system. How wil the artifacts look like anyways? And I'm doing 1920x1200 Fullscreen tests. After about 60 sec of tests my Vid card temp goes to about 90c+ from idel 50c.

Even if I wanted to I cant use ATI Tool for @ since it only allows me to scan for artifacts, something about Kernel Mode Driver Error... I'm going to wait for worshipme to give his opinion about if I should use the ATI tool or not. Thanks Grantofhell

In regards to the manual vs direct control of a vid card fan. Since I always have it at 65% would it be logical for me to use it via direct control as well I overclock test?

I will get round to adding the BIOS flashing and Vmod section at some point but I'm going to finish updating the new build thread first, I've already done the first half.

As for the artifacts, you will know them when you see them. Sometimes they will just be an improperly rendered pixel, like a yellow spot. Other times there will be weird shapes all over your screen. Furmark will most likely crash before it displays artifacts though, so you don't need to look for them.

You can use ATi tool with an Nvidia card if you want. You can use the artifact scanner with any card.

In regards to the manual vs direct control of a vid card fan. Since I always have it at 65% would it be logical for me to use it via direct control as well I overclock test?
I always adjust the fan settings through a BIOS flash. I promise I'll get round to that section...

EDIT.

Is there another 60 second stress tester I can use instead of Furmark? It only recognizes my crappy integrated GPU. I just need a way of knowing my GPU is stable at the selected clock frequency. And @dvijaydev46, MSI Afterburner is awesome for adjusting the GPU settings.

Also this should definitely be stickied.

Oh wait, once I click burn in/ benchmark it switched over to my main GPU. What do you mean by artifacts? I can run FurMark but its only 9 or 10 frames a second @ 1920x1080.

Back
Top Bottom