Time for another build (:

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
This one will be for my sister. She will occasionally game on it (WoW, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Age of Empires, etc) and might have to do some light Photoshop and Illustrator work for her fashion classes.

My father insists that we purchase an HP for her for around $6-700. I disagree and would like to build her one instead.

I'm basically aiming for an Intel CPU and a decent graphics card that will play these games on highest very smoothly. They don't require much power, so this is good.

Any suggestions? I've been looking at various builds around the site and have been using the guide to make some of my own builds, but I want to see what you all think.

Monitor will not be needed; everything else (including OS) will.

I promise a nice thread, along with step-by-step build updates and pictures along the way. :p

Cheers,

Chris

That's the exact build I've based my options on, however I swapped the motherboard out for an Asus.

I'm just wondering why he's using DDR3 ram in the "Mid range system: $750" instead of just DDR2.

Edit: Sorry, double posted.

So you guys recommend the Phenom over the E7500? Which would perform better? And also, overclocking is definitely a possibility, so which would be the better choice in the end? I'm really looking for something here that will perform flawlessly and not be sluggish.

And to add yet another question, which of these would be the better choice for this PC?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103694
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103289
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core black edition Processor

Worshipme states that the Brisbane BE has an unlocked multiplier, making it perfect to reach 3.0+GHz speeds. But would it outperform the Phenom II? Even if the Phenom is also overclocked? I'm not too experienced in AMD chips.

EDIT again: The Black Edition Athlon 64 is no longer for sale. :/

Worshipme states that the Brisbane BE has an unlocked multiplier, making it perfect to reach 3.0+GHz speeds. But would it outperform the Phenom II? Even if the Phenom is also overclocked? I'm not too experienced in AMD chips.

This is my fault. I haven't updated the overclocker's section of the new build thread.

*Doing it now*

"light Photoshop" usage isn't exactly "editing" or at least by my standards :p

I would still suggest AMD for that price range, but to each their own.

Either will perform just for her needs.

Editing is editing. It might be light now, but it will increase as her educationcal standards increase.

Back
Top Bottom