HD partition problem

karljay

Beta member
Hi since I installed a fresh XP download I am having a problem with one of my partitions on my hard drive. I have a 500gb hd which i partitioned into 3 seperate drives of 150gb each.
My C: drive is obviously system files, programs etc my D: drive was where I put all my photo's & movies and my E: drive was where I stored my games. All was fine until this fresh O/S installthen when I right clicked on a file to transfer there was no option to send it to drives D or E. So now when I go to start>my computer>local disc D after a couple of seconds I get the message "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". The screen then goes to my desktop for a second and start up stuff like MSN reappear as if they had just re booted. It doesn't lose any I.E. screens I have open at the time and I can access the D: drive with Nero if want to burn anything thats in there.
Any help on this would be most appreciated
Regards
Karl

Hmm, does this happen when you open your D:/ drive but none of the others? And the D drive is where you store your films?

I'm going to take a wild guess that there's films or video clips stored on the root of the drive, and windows explorer tries to load preview "images" of them - this usually works fine, but sometimes (when there's an avi file larger than 2GB for example) it gets itself into a pickle and just gives up.

I might be wrong, but to see if I'm correct, go to start, run and type in these (separately, one at a time!)

Code:
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

The above will disable explorer grabbing previews. Then reboot and see if you still get your problem. If you do and that's not the cause, then you can re-enable both with:

Code:
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
regsvr32 shmedia.dll

berry120 your a star mate. That seems to have done the trick.
A thousand thanks to you. If you ever visit Newcastle Upon Tyne I owe you a drink.
All the best
karljay

Back
Top Bottom