Video Card Upgrade

I can't stand desktops; mobility is too important to me. I'll probably just end up buying another laptop just for gaming with the money I made from my summer job. Any suggestions on which gaming laptops are better?

Well you see the thing is, laptops weren't made for gaming.
Laptops are your quick and easy fix to do simple things online and do MILD gaming at the most, anything higher and the laptop will lose TWO of it's key features.
1. It will lose it's size, it will have to be big to accommodate all the necessary hardware. Bigger size ruins the point of a laptop, as you probably bought that laptop for an easy-to-carry thing to help you on the road.
2. IT'S WEIGHT! Think about it, that laptop will have to hold everything a desktop holds, now we have stopped talking about a lightweight machine, but more of a sophisticated powerful BRICK.

Sure there are lappys that you can buy for $2,200 that will bring some desktops to shame, but it has those two points listed above.
Third point
3. THE PRICE! Jesus $2,200 come on! Now you're probably thinking, heck it's worth it. Just think, you can get yourself a DESKTOP with the same, if not better, components, for $1,400-$1,500 TOPS!

Now I read your post of course, and you said mobility is important.
Let me bring up some more points.
1. You probably won't be gaming when you're moving, when you're on the go you aren't going to have time to join some online server and play for a couple hours.
2. Look at the price, you could either get a $2,200 lappy, or get a $1,400 desktop with $800 bucks to spare!!! Now you can't move around, BUT, with those $800 bucks you can buy yourself a laptop!
Now you can buy yourself a laptop that goes a little above minimum or even recommended specs for that game.
So while you are at home you can be gaming on maxed out graphics, enjoying your sexy beast, and when you are on the road and it's nighttime, and you have some time to play, you can pop in the game and tone the settings down a bit and have some fun.
Here is my suggestion to you my friend.
Build yourself a desktop for $1,400, hell, even a $900 desktop will KICK ASS. Now with the money you saved over you can get yourself a laptop that you will need in terms of mobility, but you can also play the game on toned down graphics.
So basically when at home, you can play on your desktop on Ultra High Graphics (Let's use flight sim as an example) you can fly where you want whenever etc. etc.
Now you have a business meeting, you take your laptop there, do what ya gotta do, and at the end of the day, when you are in a hotel for example, you can pop in flight simulator, tone down the graphics, and you're good!
Now personally I find that the better choice, but your call :)

EDIT: Another point, once you get a gaming laptop, it'll be just like a desktop, don't forget about battery.
That gamer will CHUG the juice out of that battery, you'll be dragging a power cord wherever you go, just one more point :)

How mobile are we talking here? To give you some idea of the price difference, I put together a system last month that cost me just over £150. No, fair enough I don't game much / at all and as such I'm using onboard graphics, but whack a decent graphics card into that setup and you're still talking less than £400 for something that'll play most games out there at a perfectly decent frame rate.

Now let's talk in terms of laptops. You can't get a decent, new laptop for £150. Cheapest I've seen was £200 - and that was the lowest of the low style spec. Push it up to £400 and you're starting to get into decent, general use laptop price range... but want something for gaming and you're going to have to double or triple that to get close!

Add this to the fact that whatever laptop you get you won't be able to use it for heavy gaming (for more than a few minutes) unless it's plugged in anyway... and you can see where we're coming from here!

At the end of the day it's your money and you spend it how you want, but personally I would've thought spending that much on a laptop wouldn't be the best use of funds here. If you're talking about moving a lot and don't want to drag a heavy case around with you, what about a SFF PC?

^^
Exactly, he should get a desktop and a laptop, or even a netbook depending on what he is doing.

Haha thanks people. I will take your advice into consideration. I'm just not too certain I really have a need for both a laptop and desktop, as I'm only going into my senior year of high school right now. I think the best time to get a desktop would probably be when I'm at college in a dorm.

Back
Top Bottom