new laptop trying to run Call of Duty -World at War - and failing

Rhogeist

Solid State Member
hey all

So I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite (just arrived today)

Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type AMD Turion X2 RM-74 2.2G
Screen 17.3"
Memory Size 4GB DDR2
Hard Disk 250GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card ATI Radeon 3100
Video Memory Shared memory
Communication Modem, LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card

more specs at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114659

and attempted to play Call of Duty on it tonight. It lagged so bad that I could barely move. Thinking this might be because it was online play, I switched to single player. Same deal. This was not the annoying hiccups. It was completely unplayable...

Now I played Call of Duty for years on a Laptop with a 1.6ghz processor, 1gig of RAM and probably a run of the mill standard graphics card. I also played on a desktop with essentially the same specs.

Can anyone please help me?! I want to be able to play this game on this computer!

thanks so much

Well what settings are you running it at? High, low, medium?

Also, im confused, im looking at all ATI mobile cards, and i dont see any 3100. Odd.

You have an integrated card that cannot handle it.

damn. I had no idea this was actually a graphically demanding game (I assumed since the first two were pretty easy to run on average machines).

I lowered all settings to as low as they go (was running it at 800x480 res) and its still unplayable. I can run around and shoot people if they stand still, but at like a 1 kill/20 deaths ratio.

So I guess I have to get a new card?

^ Good luck with that. It isn't possible to change the GPU in a lappy.

The GPU itself is soldered into the board, therefore can't be removed. There are also no expansion bays.

You can still return it if it's recent. Give us a budget and we can find the perfect laptop for you.

You can still return it if it's recent. Give us a budget and we can find the perfect laptop for you.

Well I'm pretty poor at the moment, and this was about as much as I could spend for a computer :( I'm pretty happy with it, but if I'm not going to use it for gaming, it will be just the usual writing papers and browsing the internet probably.

I might save up some money and build a desktop 6-8 months from now, but I'm not sure. Perhaps its better that I spend more time studying and less time pwning.

thanks though

Not only is the onboard out dated and cant play it, the CPU is old and also a bottleneck in the system causing it to not run. AMD Turion and semprons are the worse chips AMD ever made.

Back
Top Bottom