Forum "Update"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please point my eyes to where you see a processors forum?
Ok, ya got me ;) Fair point for that specific example, but unless you're denying it's possible for any ambiguities in topic titles to emerge then that above point still stands with as much validity as it had before... as do all the others!

We've all got the inclination for such smart comments so fair play, but I've yet to see any member, including yourself, come forward with any real answers or hard suggestions (beyond "I don't think it's as difficult as you're saying it is") to reliably address the issues above. If someone can point me to a VB script, program, or any (non-manual) way at all of reliably sorting all of the existing threads out into their respective new categories, I'm all ears!

Go on - hit me with your suggestions!

I fail to understand why these old threads need to be perfectly arranged.

1. Old threads aren't supposed to be brought up.
2. Any old thread that IS brought up can be moved by a mod at the time. Because...seriously...no one is going to bring all of them back.
3. No one is going to go to a forum and browse it page by page to find answers to a question, they will use the search button.

Let's assume if my keyword idea does work and we get a 20% success on thread location. 20% of 46k is roughly 9.2k. So we get 36.8k threads that "don't belong" and the rest are in the proper place. Because, really, what we are doing mostly is rearranging. The only forum really being broken down is the General Software/Hardware and its subforums. If you take a look at the proposed layout, and really scrutinize it, you'll see you're making too much of a big deal. This forum has been around for 6 years. If we make this change now, in another 6 years the % of misplaced threads will be very low. Now, with forum rearrangement in mind, I also suggest we try out the design with more forums first. Reason is: if we don't like it we can always condense it, but it's hard to divide a forum into more sections (as we are seeing here).

So I assume you have 1 vote to halfarse it. FAIL

Tell me. What is the advantage of having the majority of these old threads in their correct forum? I seriously doubt anyone is going to scrutinize this forum for misplaced threads before they join. All people care about when joining a forum is aesthetics, organization, and activity. Right now CF has 2 forums with major activity and the rest with none. The "General" section is awful as far as organization. We just throw everything into HW/SW. If "halfarsing" it is the only way to get this change, that's what I'm going to push for.

If this gets rearranged, lets purge the list of unused accounts, and spammer accounts and posts that were moved to the "spam" forum instead of deleted, unless VB uses to those prevent spam or something. Because those are killing the database.

I like the idea of making everything more usable, and putting the social lounge at the bottom, this way we can see its a COMPUTER forum. (Deja Vu... I think I mentioned that a year or two back) anyway, I haven't had time to read this all, I will tomorrow, but I'm still seeing the same problem as before with spilling hardware and software apart, and hopefully we will be able to find a workable solution.

Tell me. What is the advantage of having the majority of these old threads in their correct forum?

All people care about when joining a forum is aesthetics, organization, and activity.

You may have answered your own question there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom