Power surge?

gemguy1

Solid State Member
Hello,
There was a major power surge in my neighborhood. Unfortunately the surge protector wasn't enough (got a ups now). The result of me procrastinating was my computer got damaged. I got with my Homeowners insurance but they said in order for me to get reimburse for everything that was damaged. I would need some documentation. So I requested a diagnostic test from a computer company near by. Even though I know what the problems are. The only thing the computer shop tested was the mobo. They sad the mobo was fried and will be replace. So my question is:
What are the chances of the following components (cpu, gpu, ram, psu, and hdd) being stable if the mobo was fried from the power surge? I have some computer experience and I believe the percentage is low. This was my second build that I put together with no issues prior to this incident.

Thanks

I had a buddy of mines build have the same problem. Power spike blew out the MOBO, but his ram and CPU were fine. His graphics card died though, although it was an old model at the time and slight chance it was age that killed that. Oh, the power supply was also brutally murdered by the power spike.

Test your components in another system if you can!

I had a buddy of mines build have the same problem. Power spike blew out the MOBO, but his ram and CPU were fine. His graphics card died though, although it was an old model at the time and slight chance it was age that killed that. Oh, the power supply was also brutally murdered by the power spike.

Test your components in another system if you can!
That's why I took it to the computer shop. I don't have another computer to test it on. I did my on test and I know for sure the psu and gsu are bad. I believe I had an issue also with the ram. I know when you have a certain type of beep. That gives you a sign on what component is not working correctly.

What are the chances of the following components (cpu, gpu, ram, psu, and hdd) being stable if the mobo was fried from the power surge?
First, what is a surge. Electricity. For electricity to flow, an incoming and outgoing path must exist. What is the incoming and outgoing path through RAM? Does not exist. Only the incoming path exists. No damage.

Second, you have classic damage created by a protector that is too close to the computer and too far from earth ground. Any protection provided by a UPS already exists in computer power supplies. What does a protector do? Divert (connect, shunt, share, distribute) the surge from one wire to all others. In your case, a black wire surge could have been connected to the green safety ground wire. A direct connection to the motherboard that bypasses protection inside the power supply.

That was the incoming path. What was the outgoing path from motherboard? Look for further damage or overstress on that path.

What is not damaged? What is not in the path from cloud to earthborne charges?

Third, what does a UPS do? View its numeric specs. It has even less protection than the power strip protector. Don't take my word for it. View the numbers. How few joules? So close to zero to be no surge protection. But the number is not zero. Therefore the sales brochure says "Surge Protection". Those who live subjectively believe it only because others tell them to believe it. Those who need facts and numbers know better.

Surge protection is about earthing before energy enters the building. Responsible companies sell one 'whole house' protector to avoid this damage: General Electric, Keison, Intermatic, Square D, Siemens, Leviton, etc. The Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes for less than $50. Effective protector that costs about $1 per appliance. Then surges need not seek earth ground destructively inside the building. No more motherboard damage.

Back
Top Bottom