Network Speed Question

lighter2231

Beta member
I have 3 computers and 1 ps3 connected to one of the latest Belkin N Routers...

1 computer and the PS3 are also Wireless N and 1 computer is G. The 3rd computer is hardlined to the router. I have 300mbps on the comp that is N and for the comp that is hardlined, I get 100mbps. that comp has a brand new mobo with gigabit lan and should be at 300mbps.. I believe tha I did see it at 300mbps at one point but it is currently at 100..

Anyone know why?

Are you sure the router's gigabit? Best guess I've got is that it's only 10/100 (not all the latest "N" routers have gigabit ethernet ports on them.) If this is the case then I'm afraid however fast your NIC is, you won't get beyond the maximum speed of the router!

I think berry120 is right, I can't even seem to find a Belkin wireless N router with a gigabit switch built in, every one I found is 10/100.

I will check the specs but in the mean time... I do get 300mbps on the wireless N NIC on my wireless computer... Is there a reason for that...?

Yup, it's because 802.11n supports up to 300Mpbs and your router supports 802.11n! This is a wireless standard though, so it won't apply to any computers you connect via cables.

Much much faster cabled standards have been around for years (the 10 gig ethernet standard was released in 2002 and gigabit's been around for a lot longer than that) but most home router manufacturers still use the old 10/100 because it's cheaper to implement and the vast majority of connections are made using wireless - this is what's marketable nowadays. Put an advert on TV saying if you run cables all over the house you can get 10 gig speeds and no-one will bat an eyelid, put an ad on saying "we've got a million times the wireless range and speed of any other broadband supplier" and small print saying "cabled computers will run at dial up speeds" and you'll have everyone rushing from everywhere to clog up the RF spectrum with a million insecure WEP networks.

Ahh the joy of it...

Back
Top Bottom