What is a good base configuration of a laptop?

somekid120

Baseband Member
Hello
I've been looking at laptops this whole summer. I've made a thousand laptops on dell and hp but i dont know much about computers so i dont wanna mess up. I'm looking for a computer for school and gaming(CS:S and Halo, not crysis or cod4/5 or any other really high res game). So i am guessing about 3 or 4GB of Ram, 250 or 320gb of HD, at least 2ghz processor, and a decent graphics card, not intel 4500. What would u recomend?

Hey, you are looking at the right types of spec, for sure.

4GB's of RAM would be amazing on a laptop, and would also show it is using a 64bit operating system for faster processing.

Your looking for a dual core these days, and not a single.

As for the graphics card, as long as it isn't an Intel one/similar and is dedicated, it should be fine, but there are many different types, and some Nvidia/ATI ones may not perform great either.

One other issue I find is because of the graphics cards not being great on many laptops, the screen resolution, even on a really small 15-17 inch screen, seems to be above HD spec and if you wanted to play games at the native res, would really struggle.

As for processor, try not to look at raw ghz. Ghz are useless for comparing processors unless they are in the same class. Try to look at benchmarks more. Same goes for GPU's.

I see
i made an Hp 6vt
4gb ram
320 gb HD
ATI radeon 3200
AMD Athlon(TM) X2 Dual-Core Processor (2.1GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
For $654 good or bad?

I see
i made an Hp 6vt
4gb ram
320 gb HD
ATI radeon 3200
AMD Athlon(TM) X2 Dual-Core Processor (2.1GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
For $654 good or bad?

I think that's a bit overpriced. Also, you're probably going to want to get a faster processor. I think 2.3ghz would be good, but anything over that would just be better. the athlon x2 is a great budget processor, it's the rough equivalent of the pentium dual core, which is a core2duo with less cache :D

It also comes with Wiireless N w/ bluetooth and figerprint scan.

I've been looking at alot of intel mostly i think they are better but is AMD reliable?

AMD is very reliable, and will save you $$ in the end. I use AMD in my desktop builds and have been truly happy with them. Intel is great too, if you dont mind spending the extra money!!!

Last question and thank you for all that posted!
the Ati radeon hd 3200 is good for Counter strike and halo?!

Back
Top Bottom