Help Stop The Canadian DMCA

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
Use the following form to write a letter to the ministers responsible for Copyright reform in Canada as well as make a submission to the current Canadian Copyright consultations. The subject line and the body are editable so if you have the time please personalize the letter. Once you hit submit your creation will be emailed instantly and CCER will physically mail a hardcopy of your letters to the ministers in Ottawa on your behalf.

Do it. The last thing we need is to become more of a police state here.

http://www.ccer.ca/send-a-letter-to-ottawa-to-stop-the-canadian-dmca/

It's pretty cool how they will actually physically mail your letter to Ottawa as well, which might carry more merit than an email, but receiving 20,000 identical paper letters probably won't do much either. It's worth a try though. ;)

The DMCA is the worst. I got a threat email from some web sheriff enforcing it, then Cox also hit me up for it. I've stayed clean since, though. Sweden must have recently accepted it, too.

you you even know what the DMCA is?
and how useful it is?

if anything your campaign shouldn't be to stop the introduction of the DMCA, but instead to lobby for them to bring in powers to punish those who abuse the act.

to be fair the only want that this will affect you is if your site is ripping off other people.

and how useful it is?

if anything your campaign shouldn't be to stop the introduction of the DMCA, but instead to lobby for them to bring in powers to punish those who abuse the act.

to be fair the only want that this will affect you is if your site is ripping off other people.
Yes, I do know what Bill C-61 is about and I strongly oppose it.

We're enough of a police state as is. If I want to unlock my cell phone, I should be able to. It's my cell phone, not the governments or the telcos. This is just another effort by Bellus and Robbers to hurt Canadian consumers more with their monopolistic anti-competitive behaviors.

* If enacted, Bill C-61 would not allow unlocking of cellphones, forcing consumers to acquire a new cell phone each time they switch a carrier, creating excess waste.
* Bill C-61, which parallels American DMCA, could allow lawsuits over the legality of companies that offer to recycle printer ink cartridges.
* Bill C-61 creates new barriers in the race toward network-based computing, since the ICT industry accounts for more carbon emissions than the airline industry. Network-based computing – often referred to as "cloud computing" – basically are large server farms situated near clean energy sources. The bill could prevent developments on Canada's northern high-speed optical networks with zero carbon emissions. Bill C-61 would further prohibit many uses of network-based computing such as video recording services, backup of data, etc.[33]

The Canadian Association of University Teachers opposed the bill as "making it more difficult for university and college teachers and students to have access to learning and research materials". It noted that material that can be copied now in paper format would not be legally copyable in electronic format when it is digitally encrypted. James Turk, exectutive director said, "This could be the effective end of fair-dealing, the right to copy and use works for purposes such as research and private study."[26]

And this:
Proposed fines for breaking the law are (per each instance, personal use):

* A new statutory damage award of $500 for music downloads.
* Since the $500 limit does not apply to all cases, fines up to $20,000 (defined in previous bills)[11] may be incurred (per instance) for:
o Circumventing digital locks or DRM regardless of reason/intent.
o Uploading regardless of awareness, including uploading to YouTube or peer-to-peer networks. Note that peer-to-peer programs generally allow files to be both uploaded and downloaded by default.
o "Making available" of copyrighted material (regardless if it was actually uploaded).[12]
I'm not opposing this bill because it punishes those who break copyright laws, but a $500 per incident fine for downloading music? It's ridiculous. Oh but it was a lost sale! You can't associate music downloads as lost sales because the sale may have never even occurred if it wasn't available for download. Even if it was a lost sale (which can never be proved), is that song worth $500?

What happens if some kid uploads a video to Youtube with copyrighted music playing in the background or a karaoke video or some sort? The parents get a $20,000 fine? Anyone who agrees with that or thinks that kind of a fine is appropriate for such an unimportant thing with all the other issues we have in the world today needs their head checked.

and how useful it is?

Isn't it going to allow you to make more backup copies or something?

hmmmm, perhaps I spoke to soon,
let me make my stance more clear.
my last post was more in response to this
The DMCA is the worst. I got a threat email from some web sheriff enforcing it, then Cox also hit me up for it. I've stayed clean since, though. Sweden must have recently accepted it, too.
If you received a take down notice then it's pretty clear that either a: you ripped someone else's work off, and you shouldn't have had on your site without permission anyway.
or B: it was a malicious claim, lodged by someone who just wanted to take your site down, which is why I said that there should also include provision to punish those who abuse the law.

as for the other points.

fundamentally, I think that there should be allowed unlocking of cell phones, and this should not be restricted, so for example when you buy a phone, you can do what you like with it. after all you bought it.

In America it works slightly different to the UK, (I'm told) in that you tend to buy your phones up front, whilst in britain, we'll buy a phone on a contract and the phone price is heavily discounted as you;re buying a contract. even so, you are given a phone as a part of your contract, and so long as you continue to honour that contract, what difference does it make what you do with the phone.

in any case, I feel that this part of the law would actually be refined to deal with the way that phones are unlocked, which generally means reading and re-writing parts of the phones base memory, parts that the manufacturer doesn't want you to see, their locking methods are protected by law, and you;re essentially agreeing to an EULA type license when you open the box. so surely the law is already in place to disapprove of people disassembling phones etc for the purpose of unlocking?

Does the bill really say that you can't make video recordings? you can't backup data to off site storage facilities? or does it more likely say that you can't backup data that you don't own whilst claiming it's your own.
I think this is like saying that police checks form barriers to people getting involved in Child care, yes it forms barriers to paedophiles, but the rest of the law abiding world only need to spend ten minutes a year filling in a bit of paperwork for their police check.

so far as teachers saying that people should be able to copy books and that's fair use.
no, that's not fair use, that's copyright theft, and causes more damage than people copying fiction books simply because there is a higher production cost for reference books, (due to content checking). why should the people in this industry loose out because schools don't want to buy enough copies for students?

as for the music downloads, I agree, $500 isn't the cost of the actual song, but I'll be willing to put money on the fact that it's not far off the cost of tracking down people downloading sending them various letters, following the due process and taking them to court. why should the music industry have to pay to have the law enforced? it's usual in small claims cases that the loosing party would pay costs, this is just formalising that cost.

so far as the other stuff, it's already set out in law that these things are wrong.
that's why, (in britain at least) royalty collecting organisations like the PRS PPL exist to collect royalties from you when you want to publish works with other peoples copyrighted works in them to ensure that the original artist is actually paid

hmmmm, perhaps I spoke to soon,
let me make my stance more clear.
my last post was more in response to this

If you received a take down notice then it's pretty clear that either a: you ripped someone else's work off, and you shouldn't have had on your site without permission anyway.
or B: it was a malicious claim, lodged by someone who just wanted to take your site down, which is why I said that there should also include provision to punish those who abuse the law.

as for the other points.

fundamentally, I think that there should be allowed unlocking of cell phones, and this should not be restricted, so for example when you buy a phone, you can do what you like with it. after all you bought it.

In America it works slightly different to the UK, (I'm told) in that you tend to buy your phones up front, whilst in britain, we'll buy a phone on a contract and the phone price is heavily discounted as you;re buying a contract. even so, you are given a phone as a part of your contract, and so long as you continue to honour that contract, what difference does it make what you do with the phone.

in any case, I feel that this part of the law would actually be refined to deal with the way that phones are unlocked, which generally means reading and re-writing parts of the phones base memory, parts that the manufacturer doesn't want you to see, their locking methods are protected by law, and you;re essentially agreeing to an EULA type license when you open the box. so surely the law is already in place to disapprove of people disassembling phones etc for the purpose of unlocking?

Does the bill really say that you can't make video recordings? you can't backup data to off site storage facilities? or does it more likely say that you can't backup data that you don't own whilst claiming it's your own.
I think this is like saying that police checks form barriers to people getting involved in Child care, yes it forms barriers to paedophiles, but the rest of the law abiding world only need to spend ten minutes a year filling in a bit of paperwork for their police check.

so far as teachers saying that people should be able to copy books and that's fair use.
no, that's not fair use, that's copyright theft, and causes more damage than people copying fiction books simply because there is a higher production cost for reference books, (due to content checking). why should the people in this industry loose out because schools don't want to buy enough copies for students?

as for the music downloads, I agree, $500 isn't the cost of the actual song, but I'll be willing to put money on the fact that it's not far off the cost of tracking down people downloading sending them various letters, following the due process and taking them to court. why should the music industry have to pay to have the law enforced? it's usual in small claims cases that the loosing party would pay costs, this is just formalising that cost.

so far as the other stuff, it's already set out in law that these things are wrong.
that's why, (in britain at least) royalty collecting organisations like the PRS PPL exist to collect royalties from you when you want to publish works with other peoples copyrighted works in them to ensure that the original artist is actually paid

The other argument is that the cost of the phone to buy is subsidised by the carrier so some carriers have an 'minimum spend' before unlocking

The other argument is that the cost of the phone to buy is subsidised by the carrier so some carriers have an 'minimum spend' before unlocking

but on contract that cost is subsidised by a monthly bill, surely if you've unlocked your phone and are using it on a different carrier that's even better for the company that sold you the phone, you;re still paying them but not using their infrastructure.

pay as you go phones in the UK are not subsidised, (hence the reason that getting an iphone for example as a PAYG phone is so expensive).

carriers want to lock handsets to networks so that they can offer you a handset that you really want and make you use their service so that they can squeeze even more money out of you. I say, it's my phone, I paid for it and I want to do whatever I like with it.

if I threw it in a river the phone company wouldn't complain, so why do they complain if I want to unlock a phone so I can use it on all networks?

Back
Top Bottom