BlackBird 002 verses Compaq Presario SR1318NX

newfielander

Beta member
Hi,
I just purchased a BlackBird002,and I have a Compaq Presario SR1318NX right now.I do a little bit of editing video,which I'm sure most all know is very time consuming.So I wanted a machine that would speed up the rendering process and burning of a dvd and everything else that goes along with editing.
Just for kicks I decided to see how fast the BlackBird was compared the Presario,so I decided to simply burn a 1hr46min dvd to my hard drive, so I started with the BlackBird and to took 26 minutes to save the dvd to my hard drive,but to my SURPRISE it only took 14 mintes to save to my hard drive with the Presario. I was SHOCKED, seeing I got this BlackBird to edit video, after seeing this test, I doubt its even gonna be close as fast as my old computer. The only thing I have changed on my Presario, is I put extra memory in it.It now has 3GB of RAM.Even though the BlackBird has less Ram, I still though it would be soooo much faster processing the test.
Is there something I'm doing wrong or somthing I can do better to improve the preformance of my BlackBird??
Any suggestion would be great.Thanks

yea, up that to 4 gb ram

and if you want to you can get a faster hard drive

and if you want to you can get sata dvd burner

Well, first off, IMO buying a boxed computer was a mistake. big time. Also, to make ripping DVD's faster, just get a faster DVD drive and harddrive, preferrably sata. Also, make sure they have large caches. The larger the cache, the faster it will go.

Hi GibsonSGKing
you mention that buying a boxed computer was a mistake, you mean it was better for me to build my own editing machine?I dont think getting a faster dvd drive speeds up the process when saving to your hard drive does it? And are you saying that the cheap Presario has a faster hard drive than the Blackbird?
So can you tell me why the Presario was sooo much faster.

Sorry, but why would you buy a blackbird 002 for video editing. I'm guessing with that money, you could've easily got an i7 rig or something.

Just saying.

isaiahk to be honest with you I had it given me!! But even though I never heard tell of it before after seeing reviews on it, I thought it be a great computer for editing. So a better choice would be??

The differences that cause those times could be many different variables. All in all, the blackbird probably has better parts in it, and should have overclocking ability right out of the box.

I do agree that a custom built PC is much better for what you're doing, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. Many people make these comments because they are thinking in their shoes, not yours.

Hi GibsonSGKing
you mention that buying a boxed computer was a mistake, you mean it was better for me to build my own editing machine?I dont think getting a faster dvd drive speeds up the process when saving to your hard drive does it? And are you saying that the cheap Presario has a faster hard drive than the Blackbird?
So can you tell me why the Presario was sooo much faster.

If it was me, I would have built a computer, as you could get a way faster one on the same budget. Just my opinion.

Also, you said you were ripping it from a dvd, right? Well, being able to read the dvd faster would certainly increase the speed. Also, it's very possible that the presario has a harddrive with a faster write time or more cache. Remember, we aren't talking about harddrive read times or dvd drive write speeds. Also, the presario might have less processes and applications running in the background, and also might be on a different OS. Therefore there is a lot of room for error in your test.

GibsonSGKing
I didnt realize that the dvd drive would make a difference, but yes your right cause I took an external dvd drive that I have and compared them again, guess what! The BlackBird was 10:43 completing the test, the Presario was 14:23. Another thing you mentioned was OS. Yes the Presario has a Windows XP the BlackBird has Windows Vista Ultimate.
ndg2006, You mentioned over clocking, is that something I should do myself? And it will speed things up will it?
Thanks for your comments by the way.

GibsonSGKing
I didnt realize that the dvd drive would make a difference, but yes your right cause I took an external dvd drive that I have and compared them again, guess what! The BlackBird was 10:43 completing the test, the Presario was 14:23. Another thing you mentioned was OS. Yes the Presario has a Windows XP the BlackBird has Windows Vista Ultimate.
ndg2006, You mentioned over clocking, is that something I should do myself? And it will speed things up will it?
Thanks for your comments by the way.

Yes, the DVD drive is most likely the largest bottleneck in this situation. If you would like, you can most likely take that external dvd drive out of it's casing and pop it into your computer as an internal one. The operating systems will definitely make an impact on the performance, although for the better or worse, it's hard to say.

Overclocking will speed things up, but you have to be careful with it. It involves running the processor (and other things such as ram) faster then specified from the factory. But you can't make it too fast, otherwise it overheats among other things. An after stock cooler can really help with this, but isn't absolutely needed. You don't need to do it though, it's just for people that want a little bit more speed without buying new hardware.

Back
Top Bottom