What Ram Is The Best For Me To Use

Hang on, hang on. You have vista 32bit. You need 64 bit to use anything over 3gb. Also, you should get the stuff at newegg, probably has better prices.

Hang on, hang on. You have vista 32bit. You need 64 bit to use anything over 3gb. Also, you should get the stuff at newegg, probably has better prices.

32bit will be able to address more than 3GBs of that memory, just not all 4GBs, every little bit of memory helps, so 3.3 GBs or 3.5GBs is still better than just 2 or 3GBs, also, he lives in Australia so no Newegg for him...

32bit will be able to address more than 3GBs of that memory, just not all 4GBs, every little bit of memory helps, so 3.3 GBs or 3.5GBs is still better than just 2 or 3GBs, also, he lives in Australia so no Newegg for him...

depends on his graphics card though...

Anyways, to the OP, the way to think of what you're missing out on is this:

32-bit Vista = a pretty, but slow Windows XP
64-bit Vista = the future of computing

What is the best way to tell how much the OS is able to address with a 32 bit system and 4GB of RAM?

depends on his graphics card though...

Anyways, to the OP, the way to think of what you're missing out on is this:

32-bit Vista = a pretty, but slow Windows XP
64-bit Vista = the future of computing

Windows 7 64 bit kicks Vista's tail, so no, Vista 64 bit is not the future of computing...

What is the best way to tell how much the OS is able to address with a 32 bit system and 4GB of RAM?

a 32 bit system can address a maximum of 4GBs of RAM, but videos cards (usually the biggest hog when it comes to addressable memory) and other system resources (sound cards, etc. IIRC) take away from that, at least 512MBs+ is pretty standard now in most systems, so a system with a 512MB video card is already starting out at around 3.4GBs - 3.5GBs of RAM before anything is even factored in, so my guess would be that a lot of 32bit systems would have between 3.2GBs - 3.4GBs of addressable memory...

I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it...

Depends on video card, mainly. 32 bit can address 4gb of ram. So if you have 1gb of dedicated video memory, you're down to 3gb of general system memory. Don't know if L1 and L2 cache is included in this though.

Windows 7 64 bit kicks Vista's tail, so no, Vista 64 bit is not the future of computing...

a 32 bit system can address a maximum of 4GBs of RAM, but videos cards (usually the biggest hog when it comes to addressable memory) and other system resources (sound cards, etc. IIRC) take away from that, at least 512MBs+ is pretty standard now in most systems, so a system with a 512MB video card is already starting out at around 3.4GBs - 3.5GBs of RAM before anything is even factored in, so my guess would be that a lot of 32bit systems would have between 3.2GBs - 3.4GBs of addressable memory...

Win7 isn't that much better then vista if you have a decent computer.

Correct :D

Easy on flaming of opinions. Vista 64 is the reason Windows 7 64 is out. Need I mention that the 7 kernel is the Vista kernel is well? I hate running into people that skipped vista entirely because they don't understand operating systems in the least and claim that 7 'owns' Vista. Besides, 7 isn't even on the market yet, and unless you are an IT pro or an illegal downloader, you haven't even seen the benefits 7 64-bit will reap.

Easy on flaming of opinions. Vista 64 is the reason Windows 7 64 is out. Need I mention that the 7 kernel is the Vista kernel is well? I hate running into people that skipped vista entirely because they don't understand operating systems in the least and claim that 7 'owns' Vista. Besides, 7 isn't even on the market yet, and unless you are an IT pro or an illegal downloader, you haven't even seen the benefits 7 64-bit will reap.

I totally agree. Although the RC is out, so pretty much everyone and their uncle has access to it. But XP 64 is the reason that vista 64 was good, because XP 64 was a PAIN to get drivers for :p

Anyhow, I think we should get back to the original purpose of the thread :eek:

Back
Top Bottom