USB adapter conflicts with printer?

tofuhelper

Beta member
I just installed a brand new HP photosmart all-in-one printer, and connected it to a USB port in my PC (I have Windows XP). As soon as I did, my D-Link USB adapter stopped working. I can connect just fine when the power to the printer is turned off, but when I turn the printer on, no more internet connection (my adapter connects to the router in my landlord's apartment - he's very generous). I called HP tech support. They said it's not their problem. I called D-Link tech support. They said the channel on the router needs to be set to "1". It is. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can keep my free wireless AND my printer going at the same time? Is this like asking to have your cake and eat it, too?

[Shooting in the dark]

Have you tried plugging into different USB ports?

Another thing to try is plugging both devices in and then turning the computer on so that it boots with both devices attached.

I'll try both, thanks! The other thing that D-Link support mentioned as a potential problem was the proximity of the printer to the adapter (they're next to each other) - I mean, come on, really?

I'll try both, thanks! The other thing that D-Link support mentioned as a potential problem was the proximity of the printer to the adapter (they're next to each other) - I mean, come on, really?

I can't hurt to try separating the printer from the adapter.

Do you have the most up to date drivers for your motherboard (chipset), the wireless adapter, and the printer?

I know I have the most up-to-date drivers for the printer and wireless adapter. The motherboard? I'll have to check on that. Thanks!

Ugh. I haven't had a chance to do anything yet - this is my computer at home and I have been subsumed by work the last couple of days. I will return with a full report! In meantime, suggestions are more than welcome.

OK. I updated the BIOS, and rebooted with both devices plugged in and powered on. The USB wireless adapter wasn't recognized. The only suggestion from you wonderful posters I haven't yet tried is physically separating the printer from the adapter. Would need to buy a cord for that so I am, of course, trying all the free options first!

Back
Top Bottom