New build

gemguy1

Solid State Member
Hello,

I was gone for a few weeks and upon return I received
bad news from my wife. My computer was fried from a major power surge.
I got with my home insurance company and they are cutting me a check
for all my computer components. I wanted to purchase everything I had
before since performance was excellent. Unfortunately the mobo, hdd,
and gpu are deactivated. So I had to take come up with a new plan
My questions are: What do you all think about the following build I'm considering?

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM
Western Digital Caviar GP WD10000LSRTL 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Retail
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58

I am not sure what Nvidia gpu and sound card I should go with as of yet. Either the GeForce 9800 GTX or GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition. Any suggestions? I was also thinking about purchasing Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit with a free Windows 7 upgrade. It is hard for me to leave XP. I had it installed on my previous build before it was fried. I am kind of weary about Vista still.
What do you all think? I am still around the same price as the one I built last year.
I am willing to spend no more than $1400.

Thanks

save the money from vista and get a new gpu
Well that's the thing. I am going to get a gpu I'm trying to decide between the two I listed. So it's not worth the Vista Ultimate 62 bit with the free 7 upgrade? Are you saying install my old XP version?

save the money from vista and get a new gpu
I disagree - not everyone has MSDN subscriptions, not everyone wants to use linux or another OS, and not everyone wants to go illegal / free with their OS. Nice as XP is it's now over 7 years old and won't get the performance out of your system that windows 7 will. Might be expensive and no I wouldn't shell out for an OS either, but for some it's the best choice. There are others out there - but if you've made an informed choice and decided to purchase Vista, there's nothing wrong with that.

So it's not worth the Vista Ultimate 62 bit with the free 7 upgrade? Are you saying install my old XP version?
If you see Vista Ultimate 62 bit edition anywhere, I'd run a mile...!

Oh, and you might want to add a surge protector to that shopping list ;)

I disagree - not everyone has MSDN subscriptions, not everyone wants to use linux or another OS, and not everyone wants to go illegal / free with their OS. Nice as XP is it's now over 7 years old and won't get the performance out of your system that windows 7 will. Might be expensive and no I wouldn't shell out for an OS either, but for some it's the best choice. There are others out there - but if you've made an informed choice and decided to purchase Vista, there's nothing wrong with that.

If you see Vista Ultimate 62 bit edition anywhere, I'd run a mile...!

Oh, and you might want to add a surge protector to that shopping list ;)
So it sounds like 62bit is not the choice despite the fact it comes with a Windows 7 upgrade. But from my my understanding for any ram over 3gb's will require a 62bit system. I will have a total of 6gb ddr3. Also I am using Core I7. That's another reason why I was leaning towards this edition with 7 upgrade. I do have a surge protector. That wasn't enough to prevent the power surge. I will be investing into a UPS.

For the video card, you should get at least a GTX260 core 216, otherwise you aren't doing the processor justice.

So it sounds like 62bit is not the choice despite the fact it comes with a Windows 7 upgrade. But from my my understanding for any ram over 3gb's will require a 62bit system. I will have a total of 6gb ddr3. Also I am using Core I7. That's another reason why I was leaning towards this edition with 7 upgrade. I do have a surge protector. That wasn't enough to prevent the power surge. I will be investing into a UPS.

its not that you shouldnt use 64 bit, but 62 doesnt exist. 64 or 32.

thats what berry120 meant.

its not that you shouldnt use 64 bit, but 62 doesnt exist. 64 or 32.

thats what berry120 meant.
oops! I just realize what I posted. My initial post I stated 64bit. I was typing too fast with one hand. One of my arms is a sling.:D

get the 260
as for soundcards, just make sure you get one with creatives x-fi, other than that it just depends on how much you want to spend, you get what you pay for

Back
Top Bottom